[Northkeep] dissapearing posts...

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Tue Dec 6 23:46:19 PST 2005

M/D, what would you say *is* a "reliable means of communication"?   I'd have hard time coming up with another communication system that works 99.9% of the time (which is what *I'd* estimate as the successful delivery rate of email to be).

There are really two issues at stake:

1. Reliability of delivery and
2. Timeliness of delivery.

The first is a measure of how often the message arrives at its destination, regardless of the amount of time involved, while the second is a "how often the message arrives in time to be of benefit to both the sender and the receiver".   Email and mailing lists would score higher in those two categories than any other messaging system I can think of.  Add in a "sender effort per communication" measure, and email easily surpasses all other current forms of communication.

What form of communication do you feel is superior?

Also, you state:

"This BTW, is why I complain to Faolan about posting last minute business
meeting changes to the list, becasue even assuming that people are actually
reading their email that late in the day, this does still assume that they
will be getting their email that late in the day."

Is there a more sensible manner to communicate last minute business?  Of course you could state "Well, there shouldn't be any last minute business", but last minute business happens.  Should she call all 200+ people in the barony?  send them a letter?  semaphore? short wave? cb radio?  television ad?

Jean Paul

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
http://www.nomadics.com