[Northkeep] The Trip (was Needleworkers)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 09:01:29 PST 2005

>From: "j.t.herring" <j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net>
>Oh yeah, a new shoe making schedule would be great.

You want to give it a try?

>So how was the trip? and all the stuff in the shoe makers shop?

There were a few glitches here and there, but overall the trip was lots of
fun (Talana was really jazzed, especially after getting on the hands on time
with the costume historians there).  I've figured out where some of my
problems with using bristles have been, and learned some tricks  to get past
that..  And so in payment I spent lots of time fomenting insurrection among
the apprentices (who were apparently unaware that they should have been out
running with women of easy virtue and eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday ...
Since the shoemaker had left all that out of their training :)  ).   We also
spent lots of time playing tourist and taking lots of pictures (reminds me -
I have spoon making pictures for Bjorlich). There are rumors of pictures of
me in those high-tech science fictiony 18th century clothes :)

Oh, and Ian -- the display curently running at the DeWitt Wallace Gallery is
on the history of map-making in the Colonies....   I don't know how the
picture of the early maps came out yet -- if they are any good, we might see
if you want to get some enlargements of any of them).

Interesting detail -- Williamsburg is about 3 miles from Jamestown (the
earliest successful English colony in North America) and 7 from Yorktown
(where the last battle of the "American War" was fought).  There's irony in
there someplace.

I've been to the shoemaker's shop before, but was reminded that it's smaller
than my office, and has to fit at least 3 shoemakers on one side, and all
the tourists on the other.  Of course, the houses down in the Jamestown site
are even smaller than that - a reminder that our concept of "personal space"
isn't the same as it was in the Middle Ages and later.

Anyway, rather than bore people with all the details by email, I'll just
bore a select few of you in person :)

Marc/Diarmaid