[Northkeep] Binding newsletters

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:48:24 PST 2005

>From: "Carl Chipman" <cchipman at nomadics.com>
>Diarmaid, a friend of mine actually *microwaves* his books when gets
>them... he tried to explain, but
>I got confused... any reason why he'd do that?
>P.S. Happy New Year everyone!!

And to you.

The only reason I can think of for microwaving books is if you think they
might be infested with tiny livestock or their eggs, and even then I'd have
some doubts about the long term effects on things like pastes/glues,
leathers/rawhide, and so on.  I'm unconvinced it would have any effect at
all on impregnated molds (although there are those in the book field who
believe it is a good technique to kill book molds).  I'd certainly not
suggest it as a way to dry paper since the heated water in the paper is
probably going to expand and weaken it (as well as cooking it).

Ooh, I'll bet he's doing it to soften the glue to let him straighten
deformed paperbacks :)

Marc/Diarmaid