[Northkeep] FYI

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 22:45:11 PDT 2005

Jacquard is the name of a technique for weaving patterns, particularly
non-regular patterns, into fabric.  Think of it as high-tech brocade.

Say you want to weave a fabric with a rose pattern brocade.  You can do this
three ways:

1)  Pick-up weaving, where you manipulate the shuttle under and over each
thread appropriately to make the pattern.  This is mind-numbingly tedious,
but the only way to do it on simple looms such as backstrap or
warp-weighted.

2) Use a weaver's devil.  The much more sophisticated and complicated
horizontal looms speeded up the weaving process immensely, and made pattern
weaving easier by means of multiple foot-controlled heddles, each of which
lifted a certain set of warp threads to create the shed the shuttle passed
through.  Now, you COULD create your pattern by carefully arranging an
appropriate number of sheds, but this would be impractical for complicated
designs.  So, instead of separate heddles each holding a number of reeds
(the litte perpendicular rods the warp threads pass through), you set an
apprentice (or "devil") sitting atop the crossbeam of the loom and have him
lift the appropriate reeds.  This is mind-boggline for the poor devil, but
was a chief method of producing elaborate patterns in period.

These methods work most efficiently with regular patterns.  So, if you're
weaving roses, you'd do stylized roses.  Depicting natural roses would be
this side of insane.

Now, imagine trying to do this with fine silks, where you might have
thousands of warp threads across the breadth of the fabric.  Weaver's devils
must have had a high rate of mental illness.

In the era after our period, more natural depictions of plants and animals,
influenced by fabrics imported from China, became popular, and something had
to change.

Now, my memory of dates fails me (I'm typing this at 12:30 am after a full
shift of trying to prepare for the bleeding Harry Potter release this
weekend, and my brain is kind of fried), but method number 3 comes from a
French gent by the name of Jacquard, who had a brilliant idea of using a
series of cardboard templates, chained in sequence, to tell the loom which
reeds to raise and which to drop for each pass of the shuttle.  These cards
were joined into a huge loop representing one repeat of the finished
pattern.  Once the loom was configured for this technology, the only thing
mindboggling was getting the set of cards punched up and in place.  Many
technology historians call the Jacquard loom the first computer - a
punch-card computer at that.

Until recently, Jacquard was pretty much an industry term to describe the
manufacturing technique.  Over the last twenty years or so, it has been used
by cloth manufacturers as a desgnation for fabrics that are for the most
part patterned cloths of dress and shirt weights, intended for making
clothing.  Nearly all brocades, however, are made by this process.  Of
course, today the looms are generally run by more sophisticated computers
than Jacquard's cards.

Hope this answers your question.

In servicio (but very sleepy),

Talana