[Northkeep] Pear Wine

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 26 13:27:12 PDT 2005

Cool.

Cut up the pears in to large chunks.  Remove seeds and rotten spots.
Don't worry about how small to cut them they'll be mush by the end of
the week.  If you have a strainer bag use it.  I'm not kidding when I
say it'll be _mush_.  The strainer will keep it from plugging up you
siphon tube.

For 5 gal.
20 lb fruit.
12-13 lbs sugar.
2-3 Tsp.  Acid blend
2-3 tsp. nutrient
pectic enzyme if you have it.  Sometimes pectins are a problem with
pears somtimes not.
2-3 campden tabs.

Spices if you want them.  Cinnamon, cloves, anything you might put in a
pie.  Steep them in hot water for a while, taste, add to brew.  Spices
will take longer to obtain the flavor you are after but can make a
really interesting drink.  Be careful with the cinnamon though it can
overpower everything.

Yeast:  Use something good for white wines.  A Cote-du_rhone (Lalvin
D-47), Montpellier (Lalvin K1V-1116), or Red Star's Premier Cuvee.  I
try real hard to stay away from Montrachet.

Standard 5-7 days on the fruit then into the secondary.  In 3 weeks you
will probably have a fairly heavy layer of goop at the bottom. Rack
every 3 months or so after that until clear.  Bottle, enjoy!

Want to make a twist?  Add half a pound of corn suger after the last
racking when you prep to bottle.  Use Champage bottles or beer bottles
which can hold pressure, good caps or champagne stoppers. Ta' da!  A
period drink called Perry.

Probably information overkill.

Good vinting!

	])amon