[Northkeep] Late period ship stuff

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:28:15 PST 2005

Seeing Ian's message caused me to recall something.   As some of you may
have seen in the news, not long ago a body was uncovered in Jamestown (and
no, I didn't find out about it until after I got back :) ) that they think
might be the body of Bartholomew Gosnold, who died in August 1607.

While Gosnold's been being hyped as some THE founder of the first
English-speaking colony in America and blah-blah-blah (all of which is
untrue media emotive pooh), Gosnold is somewhat relevant since he was an
explorer (for instance, while commanding the Concord, he "found" and named
Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard) and earlier had sailed with Raleigh on HIS
trip to...  someplace Spanish.  He -was- an important organizer of the
Jamestown expedition, though not the only one.  In 1606/1607, he commanded
the Godspeed, the middle sized ship, on the expedition, was overruled when
he suggested that setting up a colony in a swamp was a stupid idea.  He's
usually described in tests as having died from dysintery or malaria.  The
actual texts just say that he was ill for 3 weeks then died.  I suspect the
blunt force trauma to the back of the skull may have contributed to that
(interesting detail, in August, 1607, a huge percentage of the "Gentlemen"
who were on that expedition died suddenly.  No mention of why usually,
although "of wounds" appears a few times in one of the journals from the
period.  It's usually suggested that this meant Indian attack, although at
least one of the bodies is of someone who took a bullet in the leg, and
likely bled to death.  There's a lot that's not said in those journals...)

Anyway what brought this up was that the reason they thought this might be
Gosnold's body is that he was buried with a "captain's staff", and the only
sea captain to die in the early colonial period was Bartholomew Gosnold.  In
the latest issue of American Archaeology (spring 2005) there is a picture of
the head of said staff.

Marc/Diarmaid