[Northkeep] Hurricane Katrina

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 06:56:03 PDT 2005

>From: "Rick Drake" <ainarm at cox.net>
>I have been trying to think of the best way to do something helpful in the
>Barony...

If I may, I think we should note that there are two separate concerns here.
Helping out everyone in the damaged areas and helping out a special interest
group get back on its feet.
The first is really more important, although the second can provide what is
probably very much needed moral (and morale) support.

Do deal with the former, unless we as a group want to hold a fund raiser
demo or something to make money to give to the ARC or one of the other
established charitable organizations out there.  The Red Cross seems to have
taken the societal propensity to just throw money at problems and turned it
into something effective.  Other things, like food drives, and such are
apparently less useful than buying what's actually needed rather than what
people can spare.

My suggestion (and preference) is to deal with with the ARC (or whoever) as
individuals, rather than as a group.  This is because of one of those
personality glitches I have from how I was raised: When charity is given
public, the attention is on the giver, not the recipient.  When it is given
privately, the attention doesn't leave the recipient which is where it
belongs.

Ok, that being said, looking at helping out the local SCA group is a really
nice idea, but it may require waiting until people actually know what is
needed before we can do anything.
For example, according to the radio this morning, we have over 50 new
families here in Tulsa who may _never_ get to go home.  Odds are that none
of them are in the SCA, but you can be pretty sure that there are SCA people
in that same situation somewhere.

That sort of thing should probably be done as a group, in conjunction with
other groups, to better coordinate who gets what.(and by joining the SCA as
a whole as one of those established and reputable organizations, again
attention is not diverted from the people who really need the help).

Ok, if you are just wanting to have the the SCA get some positive attention
in the local area, have someone contact the Red Cross and see if you can
arrange volunteer times for people to sign up for in the name of the local
SCA.  Neither Talana and I are allowed to give blood any more, but perhaps
an SCA sponsored blood drive in a few weeks?

Marc/Diarmaid