[Northkeep] Dionadair

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 20 09:39:02 PDT 2005

>From: <aoife at cableone.net>
>Greetings!  Thanks, Diarmaid for correcting the spelling!  I knew it but
>thought a
>correction from ME would seem pretentious , whereas from YOU it is
>scholarly.  Now, >would you pleeease settle a few arguments and tell us how
>to pronounce it!:)

jin-AH-der is the common pronounciation.  You could even go so far as
jin-AH-dahr.

The "Di" is technically pronounced "dj" (which means that Diarmaid should be
pronounced "(d)jar-mait", but if anyone actually did that I'd just die of
heart failure.

Make the sound "d", and note that your tongue is touching the front teeth.
In a "ja" the tongue is slightly further back and the flow around the sides
of the tongue.  In a "dj" the tongue is closer to the teeth, but may not be
quite there.

Next week we deal with !K....  :)

Marc/Diarmaid