[Northkeep] dorky question for armoring types...

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Tue Sep 13 12:14:39 PDT 2005

Quoting Carl Chipman <cchipman at nomadics.com>:
> What is it made of ?  Brass? Steel? Copper?

I think that it is made of steel. It's definately NOT brass or copper. It's
darkened quite a bit, from sitting in a bag in a dusty closet-like spot for
quite some time.

> Does it have:
> 1) Deep scratches, gouges, or pits?
- No.

> 2) surface rust/tarnish?
- Yes, a lot.

> 3) none of the above.

> Are you wanting to make it
> a) evenly finished (i.e. brushed)
> b) polished (can see yourself)
> c) Highly polished (like a mirror)

well... er... clean looking. Polished, or evenly finished.  I am hoping to etch
a design on the top using an engraving tool on my dremel, so I want a clean
surface to work on.

On my first test piece, I used various sanding bits on the dremmel, which
created more problems than it solved, and was labor intensive. I was probably
using the wrong bit for the job. :-(

-Zubeydah