[Northkeep] Northkeep consensus

Trudy and Lothur lothurandyrmentrude at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 21:47:49 PDT 2006

Unity is a must.  There is no doubt about it.  Why is
it not possible to combine the two ideas.  Goodness
knows that practices can become a massive machine
producing a unified SCA face, but when the air needs
conditioned, or when focus is required without
distraction, can not someone offer their home as a
place for meeting and crash coursing the newbie (if
necessary)?  Can we not come together on the idea
humbly to play the game that we all signed up to play?
 It is not an impossible thing, it is just a thing
requiring us to have fun and let people see both sides
of the coin.

Fighter practices need some spice and some pomp
regardless of the purpose for the spice.  Banners
would be a wonderful addition just to replace lost
spirit so it would be nice to add some color.  Drums,
weavers when weather is right, children (!), spinners,
etc.. .in general some life is needed.  It doesn't
have to be all about the fighters - make each
Wednesday (or practice) an event.  The larger the
spectrum of people, the larger the recruit.  From a
teacher's standpoint, a distraction like guys fighting
can impede instructional learning unless there is a
set time and place to learn.  Sometimes the kids need
to come to the carpet to learn a lesson.  I have been
in this a year and still have a lot to learn about the
right procedures. I have been to quite a few practices
since the beginning of my joining.

All this is to say that a combined effort to liven up
the atmosphere and step up on education could go well
hand in hand if we are about the effort of doing so.
I am still fairly new and am looking at it from both
viewpoints.  I hopefully have not overstepped the
bounds of one or another.  It is just a rampant
thought...

Trudy

--- Katrina Harrell <ladyjehanettelechat at yahoo.com>

Lothur Thorgilsson