[Northkeep] Looking for a song--Hey Emily, Blackhawk,Ragnar

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:20:16 PST 2006

Lady Lann,

I believe it's called "Kirelia's Song" and was written by Master Iolo
Fitzowen of Bryn Gwlad.  I may have the spelling of the name wrong.

Over the years I've heard minor changes in the wording - such is the way
with folk songs; these are the words I learned:

The Baron of Eastmarch's fair, sorcerous daughter
Was enamored unseemly with the fool of her lord
Though her duke was deemed handsome
He'd a soul vain and petty
And a dark mind as empty
As last summer's gourd

Now the fool, he was clever, and sang for the lady
Like a nightingale piping in a deep forest grove
But his station was lowly,
And his body was aging
And their love was as hopeless
As if he were stone

So the lady has led them, the fool and her husband
To her deep secret garden, by the midsummer's moon
And she's danced them a spell there,
Of shifting and changing
And left them dumbfounded
By sorcery's boon

She's left the fool crying to the gods of his fathers
She has led her duke, laughing, to her high chamber door
And she's kept him there softly
Through two day's bright dawnings
While the servants all gossip
In wonder and awe

Now the fool died in madness, saying he was ensorceled
And the duke only smiled him a sad, secret smile
Now the duke rules his people
With wit and good humor
And sings for his lady
A nightingale song

And she's borne him five children, two sons and three daughters
And they've grown straight and handsome, and sorcerers all
And they dance in the garden
And sing in the moonlight
Like nightingales piping
In a green forest grove