[Northkeep] Blackberry Ratafia

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:06:46 PST 2006

Angus asked:

>Q: How much fruit will I be needing for each....5 gallon batch

I've generally made it in batches in quart fruit jars, loosely packing the
fruit then filling with the brandy or vodka.  I usually get about 2 cups of
juice (I also mash the steeped fruit to get out all that fruity-fiery
goodness).  Mixed 1:1 with the syrup, that yields about a quart of liquid
for from an investment of about 3 to 3 1/2 cups fruit.  Your mileage may
vary.  You'll have to futz about with quantities to figure it out.

You can also monkey with how much syrup you add, or how sweet you make the
syrup, to adjust for taste, which will also affect the volume.

I will also say that, this stuff being very sweet, you won't drink it in the
same quantities you would mead.  However, mix some of the ratafia with some
club soda, and you get an excellent spritzer - especially with strawberry
ratafia.

>Q: will this work in Quantity, say 35 gallon trashcan full of smashed
>fruit, topped off with low grade alcohol, Shaking is not feasable, so I
>guess I could mix with a paddle for a month or so....then rack off  and
>bottle?

That should work fine, just make sure you're using food-grade plastic, and
keep it sealed to keep dust and such out.  I'd set it in the corner of the
garage to keep it cool.

>Q: How much home brew can you transport across state lines before it is
>concidered Bootlegging?

I leave that question to others.  I don't know.

>Q: Any guesses on how honey added at the start would effect the outcome?

You don't need to do that.  All the sweetness comes from the syrup added at
the end of the process.  This isn't brewing or vinting - no fermentation is
involved. That was done for you by the nice people who made your cheap
liquor.  What you're doing is more like making fruit tea.  Really, really
butch fruit tea.

I've never experimented with using honey, but since you haven't made this
before and want it for Gulf Wars, I'd say do it the usual way this time,
then experiment for 2008.

If you put it on to steep now, you should be able to bottle it in late
January.

By the bye, this works just as well with frozen fruit as with fresh.  I
don't recommend taking a shortcut with bottled juice - it's already been
sweetened, and has preservatives and such.  I can't guarantee the results -
though if anyone is in the mood to tinker, let me know how it turns out.

And as a final note - the first time I made this, I used a decent brandy -
J&B, as I recall.  The next time, I was in a chinchy mood, so I used a
bottom shelf brandy - and it turned out just as good.  Brandy does, however,
lend a bit of a brandy flavor to the final product, so if you don't want
that, use a cheap vodka.

In servicio (and happy sipping!),

Talana