[Northkeep] Viking demo for Jan 8

Cody Chezem bolverk187 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 15:47:41 PST 2006

  I have been in contact with Ms Marshall, any who are planning on assisting with this project will need to be on site and ready to start at 9:15am and will continue until 11:00am. There should be 18 young lords and ladies between the ages of 13 and 17. If you do wish to participate in this it would be helpful to let me know. Our focus will be on the Viking Age and though I think my personal knowledge of this era is extensive I do not know everything.

  I will be touching on things such as the ships and navigation. Some of the day to day culture and beliefs, including the roles of men and women in Norse society. What were some of the factors that drove the raids, conquest and explorations. The directions that the Danes, Norwegians and Swedes took and their contributions to other societies.

  As you can see that is a lot right there. The room that is used is large. We are welcome to bring items to show and demonstrate including weapons, except firearms or their replicas. I will tell them of the Society but, this will be a focused presentation of an era.

  Any questions, comments and/or suggestions feel free to contact me.

  Thorvald

My high school class meets on Mondays from 8.30 a.m. until noon. We
usually use 1 1/2 hour of that time in English and the rest in history.
If your schedule would allow you to attend that morning, we could
arrange our schedule to fit yours. Any length presentation within a two
hour time frame is suitable for us--30 minutes or the full two hours--it
depends on what you want to share.

Our class focuses on the Medieval period. The students have already
studied the role the Barbarians played in the fall of the Roman Empire,
and will spend this week concentrating on the Norsemen after that time.
Any information you choose to share is greatly appreciated. We are
studying European expansion, Norse mythology, everyday life and customs
and the Edda.

Our co-op meets at the First United Methodist Church near 10th and Main.
We enter through the Youth and Family Center which faces 10th st.
Parking is free. From that entrance, take the elevator on the right to
the second floor. Head left out of the elevators through a lounge area
through the double doors on the right. From their you cross over Main
Street. Take a right at the next double doors and go to the second
classroom. I know it sounds confusing, but there are plenty of people
around who could escort you to the proper room if you get lost.

If Monday morning does not work, I would also be willing to set another
meeting time. It is more difficult to get all of my students in
attendance then, as schedules will certainly conflict. I would certainly
love to have the kids meet some reenactors, as we have learned so much
from them in the past. As a semester project, the will be researching
and doing their own impression. Who knows, they may fill the SCA ranks soon.

Thanks so much for your willingness to make history come alive for these
teenagers.

Lisa Marshall
FUMC CO-OP

The problem with today is; They just will not let you load the boys (and girls) up in the boat and sail down the coast to burn someone's dam village down.