[Northkeep] Blackberry Ratafia

greddi66 at juno.com greddi66 at juno.com
Sun Dec 3 08:59:52 PST 2006

Here are a few answers to your questions:

Thinking ahead to Gulf war

Q: How much fruit will I be needing for each....5 gallon batch
maybe the first question should be...

*** In brewing, the fruit provides for flavor and it is the sugar that
will be converted to alcohol, so it starts with a question on what
fruit.

Q: will this work in Quantity, say 35 gallon trashcan full of smashed
fruit, topped off with low grade alcohol, Shaking is not feasible, so
I guess I could mix with a paddle for a month or so....then rack off
and bottle?

*** Of course!  As long as the proportions are the same as a smaller
batch it will work. But two more things need to be said here: Larger
batches use larger containers, and containers not designed for brewing
can allow for contamination.  Now the water-bearer/brewer in me needs
to say clean & sterile!  Please do not use something previous used for
non-food use (i.e.: trashcan that HELD trash or an oar that was in the
river {ick!}).

Q: How much home brew can you transport across state lines before it
is considered Bootlegging?

***  I want to say this carefully: If it has a controlled substance
(alcohol included) it can be considered as illegal at ANY amount, but
doesn't really matter so much about the alcohol but more about the
state getting its taxes.  Mundanely in our recent history, traffickers
where charged with what?  Tax evasion.  {problem: No tax stamps as
proof of payment of taxes}.

Q: Any guesses on how honey added at the start would effect the
outcome?

*** Going back and adding the statement "...topped off with low grade
alcohol...” a question of what is desired effect you are hoping for
comes forward.  Basic brewing yields a concentration of alcohol of
mostly less than 20%.  Yeast dies/goes dormant when the concentration
gets to high for it and more effort is required to get it to the
higher of that range.  So back to your question, if the concentration
of alcohol is very low and have a lot of head room left before say 15%
then the sugars in the honey will ferment into more alcohol till the
yeast goes dormant.  If you add enough so the entire batch is already
over 15% (7.5 proof) then the sugars in the honey go towards
sweetening the mixture.

It has been a while since higher math but here goes:

(% concentration [fruit mixture = near zero] times volume) plus (%
concentration of blending alcohol times its volume) equals the new
percentage.

Someone with more recent algebra skills on setting up equations can
build & convert to a more usable format that allows you to plug into
that formula the desired resulting % of alcohol using a certain % of
commercial produced alcohol and get the result of how much of it you
need to reach.

example for thought: 34 gals of mix to 1 gal of 180 proof (90%) equals
35 gals @ 2.57% or less than Oklahoma beer at 3.20% and in this
example the honey and fruit could fermintate and further increase the
percentage, but that is another mathematical formula. . .lol.

Angus
<<<

Renault
Pre-apprentice Brewer

{sorry for the bad grammer & spelling, lousy web-based checker}