[Northkeep] Houppleande

Katrina Harrell ladyjehanettelechat at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 17:45:11 PST 2006

Without overstepping my knowledge, I will do a quick short explanation. If I am wrong I am sure Talana would be able to correct my mis-steps.

  The "houppleande" was an over gown. (I mistakenly called it a coat, as in ansteorra it is usually a winter garment due to it's appropiate fabric of wool) It was pleated around the waste and sometimes (I have found instances on men on the shoulders). My period of dress is more Burgundian as during my persona's play the houppleande had been "edited" to a more V necked style, which in some paintings show the neckline off the shoulders. This overgown was popular in the late 1400's, but the origination of it is from the much earlier 1300's houppleande. Both gowns have different variation on a similiar theme. I use "The Book of Costumes" by Millia Davenport by Crown Publishers as my guide in the appearance and style.
  This is a severly synthisized idea. I would NOT with out more detailed investigation submit this as an A&S submission, but the "look" will be maintained and taught in the easiest way possible.

  Jehanette Le Chat