[Northkeep] Ya wanna be in pictures, kid?

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 11:45:22 PDT 2006

>From: Gisela <giselavonwolfsburg at gmail.com>
>My sentiments, exactly! I also hate "posed" pictures, and get rather
>annoyed with people when
>they see the camera and literally STOP what they're doing so I can take
>their picture... well, in
>most cases, I liked what I saw at the time, and wanted a picture of THAT,
>not them standing,
>staring at the camera with a forced smile and rarely a pleased look in
>their eyes.

I think posed pictures have their places - for example, the portrate shots
of Ainar and Mercedes (although if I were a good boy, I'd go in and edit out
the cable on the floor, since it IS a portrait shot).  But yes, I prefer to
take candid shots, of people doing what people do.  What I find amusing is
the that people will often see a camera and start hiding mundanity -- I take
pictures of the SCA as it is, warts and all.  That means that pop can should
be in that picture because it's there the rest of the time.  You'll notice
that in most, if not all the pictures I took in court, there is a propane
tank sitting there next to a pile of poles.  I've certainly gotten comments
on it here and there.  The tank is there because the tank was in view.

>I personally, don't like my picture taken because I don't feel I look good
>in
>photos... so that is my main reason for ducking from people when I see a
>camera.

Which is why I don't like having my picture taken either.

>What I have to try really hard to remind myself is, how I  look in
>photos is exactly how others see me in real life, so to everyone else,
>those pictures don't look so horrible (except that they are of me to begin
>with) therefor I should just suck it up and let it happen. But I always
>seem to have my mouth open or my eyes half closed, so in that respect, I
>prefer knowing I am about to have my picture taken so I know not to do
>anything silly like blink... or breathe!!

I am willing to have a few shots taken just to be civil (although I recently
went to a party where the host must have taken almost a dozen pictures of me
just because he knew I don't like having my picture taken.  This strained
even my abilities to be civil...).  Frequently these days it boils down to
who is taking the pictures, and why.  And I am very picky about having my
image put online, so I am sympatheitc to that in others.

Marc/Diarmaid