[Northkeep] Gulf War tales

Dennis England sirbalvin at cox.net
Mon Mar 20 21:26:04 PST 2006

Greetings Good Gentles of the Northern Region!

I come to you with tales of glory and victory unmatched in the Known World!  First, let me express my gratitude for the support all of you show to those who go fight in support of our Crown in these endeavors.  Without people at home tending the fires and the other mundane matters of the modern world we could not be there.  Thank you (wouldn't you rather come though!?)  I also wish to directly thank all of the men and women who fought beside me and followed my commands, diving headlong into chaos and danger.  To our archers who hunted our foes with deadly accuracy, I also say a heartfelt thank you.  Many is the time I observed you slipping in and out of the lines to look for your mark.  Your rain of destruction made our way easier.  And to all of the artisans, camp support and volunteers who made this war such a magical time I say thank you.

All of you inspire me and I am grateful.

There were as many moments of glory as teeth in the dragon.  The mighty shield wall of Moonschadowe, unmovable in its inexorable march, fish bats raining blows upon the heads of our foes as if boulders crashed from the mountains!  The warriors of Wolfstar, fought with the ferocity they have been known for and showed all they are committed to their Northern Brothers. The wolf pack is still to be feared in the known world!  The Great Dark Horde were but 3 warriors, powerful and steely eyed, many a foe fell before their swords or were cast from the ramparts of the fort as we fought to defend those grounds!  The fine new squires of Chemin Noir demonstrated their Knight has made a good choice in them as they never wavered in their commitment to hold the sallie-port.  And finally, the mighty Border Guard, led by Centurion Angus Gunn.  They used the great shield wall to its fullest; hacking with glaives and ax between them, over them around them, even in front of them!  At times it seemed as if the very air were alive with brutal, painful, death.  I would almost swear I heard one of our foes utter the prayer of their ancestors, "Lord save us from the fury of the Northmen."  And through it all archers ever deadly, dropping well placed arrows into the faces of an unwary foe.  It was truly glorious!

Never a complaint did I hear, only smiles and the glow of battle lust in their eyes.  It was a war to remember.

I hope you will all tell these stories and if you would like more details about them don't hesitate to ask me I will gladly share with you what I have seen.  Begin now to make plans for next year so that you may again be part of these tales.  If you have never gone to Gulf War, I hope I have inspired you want that experience.  There is nothing like it.  As His Grace Patrick Michael said, "this is our war."

I Remain Proudly In Service,
Riddari Balvin Thorfinnsson
Commander, Northern Regional Army