[Northkeep] Questionable publicity

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 14:43:05 PST 2006

Estrill wrote:

>Mostly my concern is that someone will think that *all* medievalists are
>as disconnected / dysfunctional as this family. And so therefore, we (the
>SCA) need to be aware how this was presented to America and be ready to
>counter it. What if someone finds this really cool potential site for an
>event and the *only* idea of modern-day medievalists the owner has is from
>"Wife Swap"?

What do we do if someone with a site we want to rent does have only such an
impression of us?

We do as we've done in the past.  We show them that we are an established
recreational organization with government recognition as an educational
group, that we have proper insurance coverage, we have money, and we want to
bring them some business.

We're normal people with an odd hobby.  That makes us no different from the
Scrabble players  who take over the coffee shop once a week, or the Civil
War re-enactors in the state parks in the summe.?  Or, for that matter, the
die-hard, tail-gate partying, face-painting, OU and OSU fans we're all so
familiar with.

I imagine that most homeschooling parents would be as distressed by this
questionable publicity as we.  Like us, all they can do is show that they
are not like the family in the episode.

It happens.  It's happened before, and will happen again.  Life goes on; and
besides, with the sludgy flood of reality shows clogging the cable channels
these days, who is going to remember one episode of one show two years from
now?

In servicio,

Talana