[Northkeep] Medic!

Melissa Long Blevins hlecalais at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 30 17:53:57 PST 2006

Ooooh, that sounds simply marvelous!
  Elisabeth

Jennifer Carlson <talana1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Another thing you can try to help you sleep at night is to put on what my
momma called a "mammy rag."

Smear your chest with Vic's Vapo Rub and pin a washcloth to the inside of
your nightgown/jammies to protect your clothes. Your cats may give you
weird looks because you smell funny, but it helps relax the chest muscles
when you've been coughing, and the vapors help unlock some of the
congestion.

There are house brands of Mucinex that will save you up to about half the
name brand price, and work just as well. The active ingredient is
gaufinesine (sp?), which you can also find in some of the
Alka-Seltzer/Nyquil type cold remedies.

Dairmaid's old family recipe does indeed work well. I, however, prefer my
blackberry ratafia - it tastes better than whiskey.

Using that as a shameless lead-in:

Blackberry Ratafia:

Fill a mason jar with blackberries - frozen or fresh, it doesn't matter, but
if using fresh berries, crush them a bit.
Cover the fruit with (cheap) brandy or (cheap) vodka, screw on the cap, and
set in the fridge.
Once or twice a week, take the jar out and shake it a few time.
After a few weeks, the fruit will start to look anemic, as all the good
stuff is getting pulled into the alcohol.
After about 4-6 week, drain the fruit. Mix 1:1 with a simple sugar syrup (1
cup sugar dissolved in one cup hot water.) Bottle. Use.

For a serious dessert rush, put the drained fruit over ice cream or pound
cake.

The ratafia is great either as an aperatif, or at the other end of the meal
with dessert. A couple of spoonfuls just before bed will calm your
cold-irritated throat enough to help you get to sleep. Of course, a small
glass of the stuff will help you get to sleep, too :)

In servicio,

Talana