[Northkeep] Archery Practice

Cecil Hudson metaldog00 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 8 21:54:08 PDT 2006

Greetings Emmalina,

Yes, currently we are having practices on Sundays only. But I am not closed
to the idea of moving the day if a majority among the archery community can
be reached. If there in enough interest in moving practice to Saturday they
it can be arranged. Any other day would be pointless at this time of the
year considering how early it gets dark.

You wanted to know the way we do archery in the SCA? We generally have two
different kinds of shoots during practice; the Royal Round and the
Inter-kindgom Archery Competition (IKAC). In a Royal Round we shoot 6 arrows
each from the 40 yard, 30 yard and 20 yard lines. Then we shoot an
additional timed round at the 20 yard line. In the timed round you have 30
seconds to shoot as many arrows into the target as you can.

In an IKAC round we shoot 4 rounds each from each distance; 2 rounds for 6
arrows and 2 timed rounds. So basically, it's like a Royal Round but on
steroids.

I think the reason we have it on Sundays right now is that it's most
convenient for those of us who are participating right now. It falls on a
day when no other practices are being held as a rule, with Northern Regional
practices being the exception I think. The only thing that conflicts with
our schedule at the moment is an Armoring class.

I hope we get to see you out there soon.

Cian Rhys Gravenor
Archery Marshal for the Barony of Northkeep