[Northkeep] gift baskets items / largess / ideas!

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Tue Oct 31 12:54:03 PST 2006

I have been asked a bunch in the last few days, 'what would make a good gift
basket item?'... So I went to the florigium, and grabbed their file on the
topic. The original is about 45 pages... I've ripped it down to something a
*smidge* more manageable... Hope it's helpful. (The original article is on the
Florigium - if you Google "largess Ideas" it will likely be the top entry)

-Zubeydah

Stolen directly from The Florigium, heavily edited:

largess-ideas-msg - 11/29/00
Ideas for largess and gifts. and/or Gifts for Royalty.

notecards with their devices printed on them
table linens with their devices
feastware/candlesticks/other table ware
handmade candles
postage
fabric/trims/etc
garb
'fruits of the valley' - pomegranites, persimmons, raisins, nuts, etc.
honey and honeycombs
jewelry
games and gameboards
scented bath salts
peacock feathers
lots and lots of chocolate
various foods:  homemade cocoa mix, breads, cookies, etc.
various alcohol beverages – NOT SO GOOD FOR KIDS
knives  – NOT SO GOOD FOR KIDS
chairs/benches
banners

Our household has made a reasonably consistent effort at providing our
crowns with toys with which to gift the children present at an event.  This is
a Meridien tradition and may not apply to your kingdom. We have been able to
purchase very affordable, surprisingly appropriate items such as wooden reed
flutes, rings with "gems", and various simple wooden noisemakers, etc.  These
can be found from party supply stores or catalogs, or, if you're fortunate
enough to live where Mardi Gras is celebrated, a supply house of that type will
have _many_ options.

ROYALTY
Charter scrolls in the King's/Queen's personna style. This is useful
long-term if there are  lots of similar personnas thereabouts.

What about a tourney chest painted in the appropriate colors, with or
without the arms?  (Or a wooden cover for the ice chest that could be
latched, so it can serve as a packing box for travel.)

Rope bed for luxury camping?

"Spices of the Orient" in calligraphy-labeled glass bottles (with
corks)?  (Spices are usually reasonable these days, but would have been
a spiffy gift in period.)  A wood storage box to protect them from
breakage would be nice.  Whole spices and a tiny grater/mortar and
pestal would be fun, too.)

Book of Hours for the Queen (not a _real_ one, necessarily -- just a few
illustrated pages bound in tooled leather.  I bet your group could put together
something pretty. . .  .

Commission one of the SCA's famous cartoonists to do their portraits
(bambie-oidish or Tudor-Glitzie, or whatever).

Something ornate in marzipan (which can be "depicted" by the great
painter, Polaroid, and then shared out.  No packing!)

A royal beast, like a chained cheetah or hawk.  (There are lots of
realistic stuffed animals on the market these days.  Alas, this item
would have to be packed.)

Rent/borrow a heavy horse and a white Arab cross and have the Royals
"depicted" on horseback in garb, with fancy halters, and maybe banners,
if the horses don't object. . . .).  Give them 10 x 14s suitably
framed.  (Do you have a photographer in your group?  Might not break the bank.)

Offer to sneak them away for a private picnic away from all the pomp and
complaints -- er, pagentry, late in their reign.  (No, forget that one; I'd
probably be strung up by some irate _Blank_ocrat!)

Commission a set of praise poems/songs (suited to the Royal personnas)
from an SCA bard.  Publicly reward said bard with lengths of fine cloth
or "spices of the Orient," or whatever.

Give the Royals copies of the praise series in nice calligraphy,
suitably rolled or framed.

Hope that helps.  (Sure is fun thinking up stuff for _other_ folks to
do!)  8-)

With regard, Ly Meara al-Isfahani

From: "Sam & Bobbie Galyean" <GreenbriarAZ at worldnet.att.net>

1. Some of the ideas I used were geared around the time of the year such as
home made christmas ornaments ( candy canes threaded through lace, pine cones
with painted highlights, lace angels, cinnamon sticks wrapped with lace).

2.  I also had some handkerchiefs with a painted or needle work symbol on them.

3. There are crafts stores in most larger cities that have wood craft
sections,  You can get little wooden pill boxs, candel holders, needle
cases, stamp dispensors, egg holders (great for salt celler) with scoops.

4. Handmade soap ( with a surprise inside), Treasure candles.

5. The papermache department often times has some great small boxes

6. Make your own paper with fiber pulp you can buy at the craft stores.

(Add herbs and flowers) To make a small notebook press the cover in a ceramic
cookie mold and buy a regular sheet of rough paper for the interior pages.

My best source for ideas often time came from all the craft show on the
cable channels or wondering the book isles at a craft store like "Ben
Franklins"& "Micheals".  I could occasionally get some ideas from the
fabric store pattern books.  They sometimes have knic-knacks and small
items you can make.

----------------------------------

Soaps with "surprises" in them (simple enough for a children's craft w/
adult supervision).

Ingredients:
1 bar clear, unscented glycerine soap
Beads, seashells, glitter, plastic confetti in shapes, other small
"surprises" and found objects.
Molds or mini loaf pans
Essential oils (lavender, rosemary and thyme are nice)

Directions

1. Put one bar of glycerine soap in a bowl and zap in the microwave for
60 seconds, or melt it in a double boiler (10 to 15 minutes). When done, pour
about 1/4 inch of melted soap into mold or mini bread pan. Let harden slightly
(3-5 minutes).

2. Scatter small toys or other found objects face down on top of the
hardened soap in the mold. Reheat the remaining soap. Add one drop of the
ssential oil, and mix with a fork. Pour a second, thicker layer on top, sealing
the prizes inside. Let harden about 30 minutes. When done, have an adult run a
sharp knife around the edges and (may have to run the mold under hot water to
loosen) then let the soap maker smack the pan facedown against the counter. The
soap will pop out. It looks fine like this, but can also be cut into small,
chunky blocks.

Candy molds make the soap go farther and look prettier.

-------------------

Platters with the device on them for the high table at feast
Needle cases (done at a Pennsic for each of the Queens in the Known Worlde)
Sheet wall for the Kingdom Pennsic camp.
belt pouches in kingdom colors (filled with "gold" choco coins)
Matching ceramic mugs for high table in kingdom device/colors
Tablecloth for high table
pillows for kneeling in court in the presence
drapes/throws for the bare-wood thrones (so they aren't "cold" when they sit)
Lap shawl for wintertime for court
Decorated fans on long handles for summer (for the court attendants to fan
their majesties with)
Matching Capes in Kingdom colors/devices
"Travel Fund" contributions in appropriate pouches.
Cloth in Kingdom colors for new majestic garb

--

One thing you might do would be to make blank scrapbooks with the
kingdom's arms on them.  The Royals could then fill them in with pictures,

------------------------

Best gifts for Royalty? Stamps.  And Her Majesty of the East, Moruadh,
recently mentioned Phone Calling Cards (the kind you can get with a set
number of minutes on them).  What a great idea!

------------------------

As for largess, I usually put together some sort of 'cooking' treat to
give away. I have given little bottles of seasoned salt, for example. I
have also given some pretty beads on a ribbon.

-------------------------

I been given items such as small pins, coins, beads and flowers.  I have given
out pottery, pins, Apple butter, small boxes with tea, glass jars with salt and
pepper for feast table and a host of other items.

----------

I have received many wonderful things for largess in the past. As a
server at feast, I was given a full salt cellar from Ragnar of Ragnars
Rock. I have also rerceived candle holders and some jewelry but my
favorite is a necklace that was given to me at a Guardian, when I was
working in the kitchen. This young Lady came up to me and said, I have
seen you working so hard this weekend so I wanted to give you this.  I
have also been given quartz crystals for dying well at the last Gnomon
Vale Margrave event which I carry on my person all the time. IMHO I
think just letting the person know why you are giving them something
makes the item that much more special.  Also on this note if you ever
eat at a feast and your server does a good job, at the very least
please tell them that you think so, and remember that something as
simple as salt can become a treasured item so if you feel up to it go
on and give your server at a feast a little largess. This will help
in making sure that there are plenty of experienced servers in our
fair kingdom.

Owen ap Aeddan ap Trahaearn
Eldest son of House Windbourne
One of the founders of Wyrmschlauger
Member of the Liondragon guard
Herald to the Shire of Mooneschadowe

----------
 Go to a flea market, buy junk jewelry that looks ok, and is cheap
enough. I lucked out and found kids jewelry-30 wire bracelets on copper, silver
and gold that are sized for lreteens, they are great for kids. I also find
other goodies that can be used as is or taken apart and recombinant gene
splicing performed to turn them into more period stuff.

====

Advent gelt[gold chocolate coins] in basic drawstring pouches or
scattered freehand into a crowd.

====

I bought several hundred reproduction coins from a Society coiner for about a
nickel apiece.  I give them out regularly to servers at feast and anyone else
who lends a hand.  It's really gratifying to see a newcomer's eyes light up
when I hand him a couple repro. 12th century silver pennies.  The only drawback
is that I usually have to explain what they are, which breaks the mood.

 ====

How about calligraphied/illuminated cards with a nice saying on them? I
also made belt favors-a 3" brass ring with a tassel in my heraldic
colors (you can buy premade tassels) or with a nice scrap of trim or
velvet ribbon in your livery colors?  Or several unique beads (bought or made)
in a little velvet bag?  Or a couple-three yards of nice fabric (like if you
find a killer sale of remnants of raw silk or something).

One nice one that I saw at Outlandish was small baskets with little jars of
herb bruise cream, smell-good stuff, etc. Or little wooden boxes (bought or
made) either empty or filled with Stuff. How about bags of "gold coins"-those
yummy chocolate ones.  Or baskets with fresh baked herb bread? Or little
ceramic bowls of appropriate colors? Or handmade little wood covered blank
books (tres cool).

Just my 89 cents worth.....<G>

------------------------------

Silver is nice; 1 ounce ingots are not very expensive---close to $5
(not when compared with the time involved in X-stitch and other crafts)

Then the recipient can go get them cast or worked into something or
trade it for something else---the joys of specie

>Ooh! Good idea! Aren't copper and brass also pretty affordable, and
>useful?  Ooh ooh, ideas running rampant.....

Copper and brass are cheaper; however they don't seem to have the
same impact as an ounce of fine silver----unless you are presenting
them to an artisan who uses them.

Another suggestion: go to a pawn shop and ask to look through their
"silver scrap"  I bought 10 oz this way once and had a gracious
plenty of rings, etc.  Also check with a coin dealer for old
silver coins, I got around 50 once for scrap price, (I was making
a cross out of 40 pieces of silver for a pastor who was moving away...)
some of them still showed Queen Victoria on their worn surfaces.

> Did you melt the rings down into ingots or present them as rings?

Yes; some of the jewelry I used as-is and others I re-cast.
(a couple of rings became my wedding rings when I got married!)

I used to cast the "prizes" for our shire's events--usually a simple
object indicating the event: a sword for the tourney, an anvil for the
anvil toss, a spoon for the head cook of the feast, etc. Not very large
but something different than a silverplate goblet...

-------------

Are these items you want to *give away*? If so, although you specified
"other than ... cross stitch ..." how about giving skeins of that new DMC
metallic floss? Just because you don't do it yourself doesn't mean others
wouldn't like receiving raw materials.
=========================

Buy  a HUGE amout of Mineral Oil, which is the basis for baby oil, divide it
into smaller containers with lids(baby food jars?), add cloves, or mint or
other scents to macerate in the oil.  Result: massage oil!  Note: this takes
quite a bit of time, so start now.

--
An interesting idea. If you used olive oil instead of mineral oil and
perhaps found some small bottles, instead of the glaringly modern

The same methods could be used to create flavored vinegars and oils for
cooking.

================

Beads, bells, colourful cords, trim, sewing accessories, recipes,
music, get someone to strike a period-style commemerative coin,
marbles (some can be quite versatile and beautiful), impliments
of artistic use to the recipient (find out what materials they
use in their work), empty bottles of decorative bent (a local
Baron got a fish-bottle as a gift recently, his Baroness got a
necklace-perfume bottle), books, garb accessories (belts, pouches,
laces...), drinking vessels, candles, candle lanterns, oil lamps,
small containers (wooden or metal or bone boxes) or perhaps a nice
salt cellar.

Look for what the little, useful things the potential recipients employ
then try to find variants or decorative additions to them (a lady I know wears
several keys from her belt - and people are regularly giving her more; she
could use the ring as a cudgel by now).  One of my most
cherished gifts was from my lady mother upon my appointment as shire
A&S minister - a small metal mirror with an engraved back done in the
style of one found in Switzerland at an archaeologic dig. It cost her
$5 at a local import shop.

================

I went to my local linens shop (Ling's in
Toronto) and bought a box of handkerchiefs (I get mine for $11.50 CDN for 10).
They are hand embroidered (some have crochet detailing) and are great for
handing to people as small tokens/favours.

For something larger, I buy tablecloths (same store, though sometimes at other
linen shops in Chinatown).  I can get a small tablecloth with four napkins for
$10-15 CDN.

Another idea -- books.  Penguin sells mini-books for $0.99 US ($1.45 CDN)  --
you can get Beowulf or an essay by Michiavelli etc. Put them in a pouch and
give them out.  Books were considered valuable in period and Penguin carries a
wide variety of titles from throughout period.

---------------

You can never go wrong with fresh water pearls, and they are really not very
expensive.

You can mail order pearls from Fire Mountain Gems in Cave Junction, Oregon.
They have a toll free number 800 4232319 ( no I don't work for them just buy a
lot of stuff). They also have a lot of other beads that are period that are not
too expemsive.

-----------------------

hand-made bone needles (I gave out packets of 3 to 12 needles at last LPT)

hand-carved soapstone spindle whorls (another largess item I have given)

Viking random bead necklaces (I have given these at LPT as well as
Lyonnesse)

home-made herbal soaps

embroidered pouches

leather pouches

bottles of home-brewed liquers, wines or beers

sword-length staves of rattan

home-made herbal bath salts

home-made herbal oils

home-made herbal bruise salve

inkle and tablet-woven trim or belts

two, three, four or more hand-made lampworked glass beads

actual medieval coinage, one of two coins gifted

a pouch containing tumble-polished stones

necklaces of semi-precious gemstones

SCA-style costume jewellry

a full place setting of basic wood and pewter feastgear

a hand-carved horn or wooden spoon

a small dagger with woodburned-decoration on the handle

=============================

How about _Latin for All Occasions : Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus_ by
Henry Beard / Hardcover / Published 1990 or the sequel, _Latin for Even More
Occasions_ ?

Has sections on compliments, greetings, small talk, and even things for
the Roman cutpurse, such as:

Catapultam habeo. Pecuniam totam tuam me date. (from memory...)
"I have a catapult. Give me all your money."

Fun even if you don't know Latin. :)

=====================================

Bath salts.
Kitchen spices.
Fancy candles.
Assortment of colored cloth tapes. :-)
Blank a/v tapes.
Lantern batteries.
Propane gas canisters.

=======================

I have found shaped soaps to be a nifty giftie.  Also try medieval games, like
king's table or landsquenet.

Buttons. Little daggers. Teeny bottles to put things in. Pouches. Feast
gear. Handkerchiefs. Nice tent stakes. More buttons. Yards of trim. A CD of
Renaissance music. Gloves.

Gift maybes -
Baskets $1.00 - $3.00  Salvation Army & Goodwill
Jewellery  "  " " "
Bottles  $.50 $ Dollar store
Beads & Pearls  $.66  AC Moore
Ribbon reels  3/$1.00
Thread - gold, silver, etc.
Calligraphy pen, ink
Small bells
Blank books
goblets

For a few pennies you could get a piece of decorated computer paper with a blue
background and a scroll on it.  Looks nice; I use it for gift certificates.

Approach a few local SCA merchants, and ask them if they will honor it if you
promise to pay when it is handed in.  List the merchants on the
certificate, PUT AN EXPIRATION DATE ON IT and print very small at the
bottom how to reach you so the merchant can handle it easily, and roll it up
and wrap it.  One size fits all.

=================

Hmmm... What about feast gear - napkin ring with napkin, candle holder with
candle (and matches), Salt Cellar (salt), ... or maybe sewing kit for simple
repairs a piece or two of trim, duct tape for field repairs, thimble, small
scissors, needle and an assortment of threads...  or maybe a basket or bag or
pocket or pouch to tote things ... How about the makings for a medieval recipe
with the recipe of course and the offer to aid in its making if desired....
Gift certificate for something you can do for them (I do Seated Massages)...

> [...]
>Duct Tape
>A hat
>Embroidery floss
>Needles
>Gesso
>Wood
>Books on art in the Middle Ages
>Embroidery hoops
>A belt blank
>Books on heraldry
>Books on armor
>A seam-ripper with the little light on the end
>Candles
>A lantern
>Knitted mittens
>Good paper (ask for 'elephant paper' at a paper shop)
>A piece of good leather
>Paint brushes (ten bucks can get the good ones rather than the cruddy ones)
>A length of trim
>A length of lace
>A basket
>Some ostrich plumes
>Some pheasant feathers
>A pair of good scissors (Ginghers on sale in Temple right now for half
>price)
>A tape or cd of dance music
>Sheet music for recorder
>A recorder
>A nine-mens-morris game
>Dice (no respectable late period persona would be without them)
>A nice period looking buckle
>Rivets for armor
>A strap-cutter
>A rawhide mallet
>A brick of beeswax
>A hydrometer
>A wine thief
>A package of corks
>Patterning paper
>Soap
>A nice brooch from your local Goodwill or Salvation Army
>A book on brewing or vinting
>A dremmel tool accessory pack
>A camp stool
>A deck of rennaissance style cards
>A yeast culture
>A period cookbook
>A book on basic sewing skills
>A pouch
>A body hammer
>Buttons
>Hooks and eyes
>Good thread
>Some antler
>A cows horn (for either a drinking horn or a hunting horn)
>A brass kickplate
>A yard or two of buckram
>A t-square
>A rosary
>A cross
>A cup or mug
>A sketchbook
>Tracing paper
>Blank tapes
>A brewers log
>A block of carving linoleum
>A draw knife
>A piece of rattan
>Some 550 cord
>Tentstakes
>A banner pole
>Seeds for different herbs
>Lamp oil
>Beads (especially pearls... you can get a strand or two of real freshwater
pearls under $10)

=================

a set of hand-dipped candles
a lantern
a set of goblets
a salt cellar (great especially for cooks)
an SCA survival kit:
  roll of duct tape
  small first aid kit
  bottle of water
  little box of chocolates or hard candies

==========

We've added to the list somewhat. Here is an longer list of possible
Yule gifts for the Viking gift exchange. Some of these will be around
$10 soem will be significantly under cost. If that is the case consider
making a "gift pack". For instance, duct tape is only $2-3. So why not
wrap up 1 roll of duct tape, 1 roll of fiberglass strapping tape, and1
roll of black electrical tape. That should be about $10. Or the enamel
paints the enameling guild is using are a couple of dollars each. Throw
together 2-3 bottles of paint, 1 wide brush, 1 narrow brush, and some
patterning paper. Cool, eh? Is the fabric too expensive for several
yards as a gift? How about 1/4 or 1/2 yard of wool, silk, or linen plus
a pattern pack of coifs, pouches, or gloves. Hope this helps!

====================

Leather working tools
Wood working tools
Tape or CD of Medieval music
Books from Half Price Books
e.g. Francis Gies books
  Arms and Armor book
  Art history
  Heraldry
  Medieval/Renaissance History
  etc.

Fabric (especially white for arming cap or veils)
Trim
A hat
Feast gear
Arificial sinew
Guache set - a few tubes
Oil set - a few tubes
Egg tempera set - a few tubes
Gesso
Enamel paint set (enameling guild) - a few tubes
Medieval looking glasses to paint
Paint brushes
Linoleum blocks for block printing
Lucet  for Lucet cord making
Drop spindle and wool
Wool or silk floss and needles
Embroidery hoops
Embroidery scissors
Strings of pearls or semipercious stones (yes, they can be found for under $10)
Mortar and Pestle
Lantern
Medieval/Renaissance Patterns
Length of ratan
Couple rolls of tape (make it a set 1 roll of each, fibreglass trapping
 tape, duct tape, black electrical tape)
Rivets
Belt blank
Set of belts (for armor, belts, etc.)
Good paper for illumination
A feast basket
Ostrich Plumes
Pair of good scissors (Ginghers)
Medival games (dice, cards, mancala (Walmart has this))
Rawhide mallet
Brick of Beeswax
strap cutter
Hydrometer
Wine thief
Package of corks
Dremmel tool accessory pack
Auto body hammer

=======================

I was thinking that Her Highness could distribute  small packets of
*Spices*  as favors/ tokens (long pepper, cubebs, saunders, grains of
paradise ). those "different" spices that many people  can't find readily, and
may put them off cooking period recipes.

=======================

Coz someone encouraged me & my cooking by giving me a small bag (5-6
pieces) of long pepper a couple years back.

=======================

In our barony, we have a custom of giving each person who helps with an
event "pilgrm beads"...I search the bead catalogues for a bead that seems
somehow to reflect the theme of the event...we just had an event, Le Defi du
Coeur, wherein the fighters vied to reclaim "the heart of Dun Carraig".  Each
person helping with the event will receive a carnelian heart stone.  Not
terrifically expensive, but a memento of an event where one served!  Many of
our folks wear these beads with their garb with great pride.

=======================

I'm looking for gold-dipped Jordon almonds (not gold-foil wrapped);
does anyone know of a store in your area that carries them?  --If
yes, please send a phone # (with area code) or email address.
- --Mistress Cordelia/Midrealm

Try www.candydirect.com and look in the bulk candy section - you'll have to
scroll through 2 or 3 pages to get to the the j's.  I know it says gold foil
but these are dipped.  I have not ordered from this company - just something I
found on the web while browsing the other day.  They also sell 5 lb lots of
gold chocolate coins for around $34 - for those of you who utilize such
things.......