[Northkeep] Gerard update

Sean OBrien ohoolighanofnorthkeep at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 18:33:50 PST 2007

As many of you know, at least the ones who made populous last night, Gerard has been experiencing severe chest pains for the last week.  (I know I said at populous that he has been having them for several weeks/months, whatever I said.  I can't remember exactly what I said, but I unknowingly told you all wrong.  Sorry!)  Yesterday afternoon the pains grew in intensity, and Gerard's mom took him to the ER.  The ER staff took chest x-rays, ran several EKG strips and drew blood for a complete workup.  At that time there was no proof of a heart attack, but they admitted him into the hospital just in case and scheduled a heart cath for today.

  He was taken to the heart cath floor this afternoon, where an angiogram was performed.  One artery at the base of the heart was 30% blocked, but no repairs were deemed necessary.  In the right artery of the heart, a blockaged rated at 90% was found, and a ballooon was necessary.  That site required the placement of a stint.  The bottom of the right half of the heart showed decreased movement due to a lack of adequate blood flow to the area.  That area should improve now that the artery has been repaired.

  It is possible Gerard will be released from the hospital as early as tomorrow.  I am unaware of any restrictions at this time, although a  "change of lifestyle" was recommended.

  Please continue your thoughts and prayers for his speedy recovery and the return of sanity to his mother.  I will update you as soon as I know of any significant information or change in condition.

  With respect,
  Aodh O'Hoolighan
  m.k.a. Susan