[Northkeep] Castellan

Jerry and Teresa Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 4 20:29:40 PDT 2007

Greeting Unto Northkeep Mightiest Bastion of the Northern Lands,

Grand was the day and great the feats of valor, skill, and talent at the championship competitions. Greater still was the friendship and camaraderie shared. The storms that pelted and pummeled us on the eve of the event but fled in the night, fearing their might would be paled by the gathering of such a host of heroes as Castellan saw. Warm sun, soft winds, and a fine day was the gift for those who attended. Robbed we say should those who were not in attendance at Castellan feel. Our event was not cheapened by the lack of your presence but each of you was sorely missed and we feel saddened for you to have lost such a rare and glorious day.

The event started early with a court opened by his majesty where the following gentles received awards:

Beorhtlic Folcwynson - Caistael Cridhe

Montega Blackdragon - Caistael Cridhe

Amadeo Esteváo - Award of Arms

Aodh O'Hoolighan - Award of Arms

Adalia Nyx - Sable Thistle - Bardic

Elizabeth de Calais - Sable Crane

A Laurel's vigil set by the field side where the sound of music and laughter prevailed all the day long, preparing Rhiannon for that august order. A tea for the all of young ladies was held by the wonderful Lady Zubeydah and the Ladies of House Halfiras with many a curtsey and fine graces coming forth from its luxurious pavilion. At midday a table was brought forth groaning under the weight of so many fine Scottish foods prepared by many a good cook, so much food that no one at the event had to go hungry. Good drink flowed with good company and much merry was had by all.

All the day the sounds of children at play chimed like bells. Nearly thirty youths and children gathered to compete for their own versions of the Castellan title. If what was witnessed at Castellan is any proof then the future of Ansteorra is well secured. Our thanks to Revca, Jehanette, and Aderyn for their efforts on behalf of the Children. At a special court held just for the Children many were recognized for their valor and skill. Also the local Minister of Children Revca Barucha who has played with us for some Seventeen years was granted her Award of Arms. The Fair Milady Eleanor took the Youth Castellan, with other younger entrants also wining the titles. We are sorry that we do not have their names handy but they are worthy of praise for their efforts and deeds.

His Majesty Romanius graced us beaming his regal smile and drinking in the honor and glory that was witnessed in our armored combat tournament like the finest Scotch. With two twenty minute speed rounds of nonstop combat, where combats fought with their choice of weapons, and great weapons, the day being as glorious as it was another ten minutes of combat was added. Allowing for those who joined in the last round to only fight with single sword. At the end of the day Dagr had taken the most victories winning the title of Drighton. Not to be outdone Centurion Brom, Master Oxlade, and Sir Jean Paul all tied for the most fights with 30 each. All fought in the span of one hour and twenty minutes. Vivat to all these mighty warriors.

Upon the field where the Rapier combats tested their metal was held a body parts tournament. Before the tournament began there was some business of His Majesties Court to be settled with Lord Facon DuPray where he received a much deserved Sable Talon for his skill in Rapier. In the tournament each combatant fought their best to take an arm here, a torso there. The end result being the construction of a six part puppet marking their blows. Great skill and concentration were needed to only take those body parts to complete ones mannequin. After many a flashing exchange it was Dirk the Just

who claimed the title of Provost. For so surgically skilled a swordsmen we must offer a hardy Vivat.

In the tall grass pastures where stood targets gathered a host of archers and marksmen taking careful aim these folk sent many an arrow, bolt, spear, knife, and axe down the range to seek its mark. During the competition His Majesty in the company of many Nobles visited the archery range and held a surprise court where Lord Arthur Blackmoon was granted a very well deserved Sable Talon for his skill in archery. At the end of the day with a weary eye and trembling hand Arthur Blackmoon won not only the Title of Archer but also that of Marksman. A double dose of Vivats for this skilled man.

The well appointed and finely decorated feast hall hosted banners and tapestries from Her Grace Duchess Willow and how appropriate that these should serve as the backdrop to a display of arts and crafts so grand and precious in their crafting that they were fit for a king. Among the many crafts shown were metal working, brewing, fiber arts, and research papers. In the pages of research was found our titled Artisan in Damon Hroarson the Honorable Lord Borrendal. For his show of skill and knowledge we offer a

very respectful Vivat.

With wit and word did many a bard spin their tales and sing their songs at Castellan. Each bard went forth to find another to challenge their best performances being rewarded by those they wrangled into judging. After many a throat parching performance it came down to three; Lord Taghd. Maggie McPherson and a Little lady no more than seven or eight whose name escapes me still but I applaud her bravery and talent that she competed along with the adults. During feast each bard brought forth a piece that they had crafted just in just one hours time. At the head table during feast each preformed. When all was said and done it was Maggie McPherson who won the title of Bard of Northkeep with her song entitled Castellan. For such a fair and fine bard how could we not offer a Vivat.

But this event is not called Drighton, or Bard, or Artisan, it is called Castellan and from all those who entered the many competitions it is only those who seek the covenanted title and excel among their many competitors. At this event among all the great deeds, all the skill, and all the valor one man stood out. One many came forth and with a might effort took the title of Castellan for his own, that man was His Excellency Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair of Namron. We are most please to have our noble cousin stand as

our Castellan and in his honor we offer a grand Vivat.

One might think that with so much having gone on that the event would be over but there was the also a feast so tasty and filling that even those whose prowess could be argued was at the table came away humbled. Our thanks go out to Lord Talbot and all his helpers. Brenden Artur Talbot along with his boon companion Murad Fezzik Ager received their Award of Arms during feast. Feast was punctuated by many a fine piece of music from the Merry Musicians of Moonschadowe and song that rose up to fill the hall.

After feast there was a short court taking only forty five minutes to do all the business of recognizing the new champions and granting several awards among which were:

Dairmaid ODunn - Caistael Cridhe

Meryn the Wanderer - Caistael Cridhe

Mercedes de Cerdonia - Kenmare

Ainar Magnusson - Kenmare

Zahava bat Hanah - Kenmare

Wilhelm von der Wulf - Kenmare

Sabine LeFevre d'Armagnac - Iris of Merit

Dagr - Sable Falcon

Rhiannon Redwolf - Laurel

Sunday dawned to the sounds of labor as people tore down and went home. The hall was cleaned; the kitchen put into order, and all was packed and hauled away leaving no trace of the magic and wonder that had existed the day before. Castellan was a grand event and we do hope that one and all had a grand time. Unlike the physical signs of the event we do hope that the memories of this good day in Northkeep are long remembered.

We must now end with our special thanks going out to the Autocrats; Milady Aurora and Lady Olivia, and to all those who worked with them. Thanks to our cook Talbot and his staff our thanks. To Kevin our herald and all who aided him, you have our thanks. To the Baronial Guard for their service, you have our thanks. And to each and every one of you who contributed in some special way to this event and we with all our words can never say thank you enough.

Kindly we remain,

Ian and Kelandra

Baron and Baroness of Northkeep

Lord and Lady Chemin Noir