[Northkeep] Lighten(ing) Up!

John Yates valstarr_hawkwind at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 22:12:30 PDT 2007

   The lighten up comment reminds me of a story, and
it highlights the SCA brings you many things you'd
likely never have experienced elsewhere.

   I'm still 335ish, but I used to be much much
heavier. I went to an event and wound up meeting Baron
Andreas. The guy made me look small, showed me a ring
that made my size 12 or more hand look puny.

   He also rummaged through his drinks stash until he
found something even a teetoaller like me would drink,
and a vessel to drink it out of. He later introduced
me to another long-time SCAdian.

   I know he was hospitalized at one point in the past
couple of years, don't know how well/if he recovered.

   It's just one of the memories that come to me when
I think of the SCA.

   Another is HL Damon and his wonderful Lady Wife.
They invited me, basically a stranger, into their
home. He helped me customize some full gaunts, gave me
a stick of rattan for a greatsword hilt, and even
split it for me.

   Damon did ask something in return..that I help
someone in return, in time.

   I could go on, but y'all get my drift,
this is the spirit of much of the best of the SCA..
fond memories, and kindnesses extended in real life.

Val