[Northkeep] Lighten(ing) Up!

Emily Minier Emily.Minier at DTAG.Com
Wed Jun 6 05:56:27 PDT 2007

Val,

Just wanted to let you know that Andreas is, indeed, out of the
hospital. I've seen him at two events recently (the most recent was
Eldern Hills).  He had his lady with him.  He's still lacking stamina to
walk long distances and uses a walker.  Both events where I've seen him,
he was using a wheel chair as his walker.  He says this is so he always
has a chair if he needs to sit down.

I sat and talked with him for a while at Eldern and I must say that it's
refreshing to hear the old Andreas (the Andreas I knew when I first
started playing this game) again.

You are correct in your earlier email...it doesn't take much for Andreas
to make any other man look small. And his hands are still huge.

Thank you for sharing your memories with us.  Sometimes, it's helpful to
know that other people are having what I call "magical moments of the
dream" as well.

Lady Adalia VonderBerg
Titled Bard of Namron

-----Original Message-----
From: northkeep-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:northkeep-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of John Yates
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:13 AM
To: northkeep at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Northkeep] Lighten(ing) Up!

   The lighten up comment reminds me of a story, and
it highlights the SCA brings you many things you'd
likely never have experienced elsewhere.

   I'm still 335ish, but I used to be much much
heavier. I went to an event and wound up meeting Baron
Andreas. The guy made me look small, showed me a ring
that made my size 12 or more hand look puny.

   He also rummaged through his drinks stash until he
found something even a teetoaller like me would drink,
and a vessel to drink it out of. He later introduced
me to another long-time SCAdian.

   I know he was hospitalized at one point in the past
couple of years, don't know how well/if he recovered.

   It's just one of the memories that come to me when
I think of the SCA.

   Another is HL Damon and his wonderful Lady Wife.
They invited me, basically a stranger, into their
home. He helped me customize some full gaunts, gave me
a stick of rattan for a greatsword hilt, and even
split it for me.

   Damon did ask something in return..that I help
someone in return, in time.

   I could go on, but y'all get my drift,
this is the spirit of much of the best of the SCA..
fond memories, and kindnesses extended in real life.

Val