[Northkeep] Yeah, I was there...

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Wed Jun 6 15:40:02 PDT 2007

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:46:44 -0500
From: "Darlene Vandever" <annescvb at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Northkeep] Acting apropriately
To: "The Barony of Northkeep" <northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org>

*Greetings Northkeep!*
**
*On a historical note, requests by the nobles or the populace for a return
to courtesy and respect are a time-honored activity in the SCA. I remember a
court where the King and Queen stood up in the middle of the court,
startling everyone into standing, and they swept out of the court with their
entire entourage of champions etc. scrambling to keep up. After a few
moments of shock, the King's herald returned to the front of the court and
called for silence. Boy, did he get it! *
**

... This was when I lived in Loch Soilleir.  Funny thing: I was playing
hostr to several Northkeep people who'd flown down for the weekend.  Little
did I know...

We hashed it over afterwards, and we concluded that while it is the
Populace's duty to the Crown to pay respectful attention to Court, it is the
duty of the Crown to the Populace to 1) make themselves heard at all times,
2) make Court at least mildly dignified and interesting, and 3) not impose
too greatly on the Populace's time and attention.  Many attendees at an
event have traveled many miles to visit with friends, and if circumstances
make it difficult to go elsewhere during court, too long a period of
enforced silence places an unfair burden upon the Populace that the Crown is
(by Current Middle ages standards, at least), supposed to serve.

I do *not* know whether the above is in any way applicable to Court at
castellan.  I wasn't there.  I suspect it was not, as I have noticed that
Their Excellencies of Northkeep hew to the three rules given above as
closely as possible.  Still, it is a matter worth considering.

Apropos of which, ask me some time about the difference between Mass in an
American Catholic Church versus Mass in A Mexican Catholic Church.  I think
it has some bearing on the topic of SCA courts vs. actual medieval courts.

--Cadfan