[Northkeep] Castellan awards and titles

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:22:34 PDT 2007

From: kevinkeary at aol.com
>...Youth Castellan: Elinor
>Children's Castellan: Jacques Adieranson
>Younger Children's Castellan: Navarre Mongosdottir
>I have been calling the younger champions Children's Castellan and Youth
>Castellan up until this >year, when the age brackets moved from two to
>three.  Youth should probably stay the same to >keep it in sync with the
>current meaning of the word in other areas (like rapier).  But I'd
>heartily >entertain suggestions for one (short) word terms for the other
>two.  Thoughts?

I like Youth and Children as terms.

For the even younger group...

According to Roget's other terms for "child" include  bud, innocent,
juvenile, moppet, tot, youngster. Informal: kid. Scots: bairn.  Also:
infant, babe, baby, bambino, neonate, newborn, nursling, toddler.

Bud sounds a little goofy to me, but no worse than the typical SCAism of
"Small".

Moppet does goe back to 1600 to describe a child.

Unfortunately, while the word "tot" is in use as early as 1425, it's a
reference to a brain damaged simpleton.  Using it for children is 18th
century.

Youngster and Juvenile are kind of broad.

Kid goes back to 1200 as a term for a young goat, and 1599 as a term for a
child.

Bairn, from the OE Bearn (a child, a son or a daughter) dates to Beowulf.
Berne and Barn are the Middle and early Modern English forms.  Bairn of
course is the Braid Scots variant.

M/D