[Northkeep] Cimarron Closing

Jerry and Teresa Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 28 08:28:58 PDT 2007

Greetings,
I would have to say that I have enjoyed many of the events that I attended
at Camp Cimarron over the years but the site has long ago seen its better
days. Camp Cimarron is in serious need of many repairs. The roads are
terrible, the cabins slowly falling apart, the shower house has not seen any
improvement for many years, and there is always something broken in the
Kitchen. The Camp Fire association is closing the camp because they can not
afford its upkeep and to help regain losses the organization is taking
across the board.

Camp Cimarron is very large covering a great many acres with multiple
buildings and utilities I would imagine if it does go up for sale that its
price would be very prohibitive for one individual let alone a small group
to purchase the place, unless said purchasers were very wealthy. Even after
purchase the amount of money needed to repair the site would also be very
prohibitive. I do not want to quash anyone's dreams of buying the place and
opening it again, I just want them to be realistic about it.

We should revel in the days gone by and remember all the good times at
Cimarron and then say our good byes. Perhaps one day the camp will open
again better than before. Until then there are other sites out there to use
other than Cimarron, they may not have the same hall as Cimarron, or the
same cabins, they may not have facilities for showers like Cimarron, or the
same land for horses...but there are sites to be had that will at the least
suffice and some of them even exceed Cimarron. Look at camp Eko-Wa, now that
is one nice site.

 To aide those groups who regularly use Camp Cimarron rather than rebelling
against the closing we should be by searching for new useable sites where
new memories can be made. If you find any place that might have a good hall,
cabins, showers, allows alcohol, and has room for horses please post the
information for that site here where others can see it and make use of it.

Kindly,
Ian
Baron