[Northkeep] Facing the demon... JAM!

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Mon Oct 22 13:34:39 PDT 2007

Well, as some of you may recall, I was passionate earlier this year about
learning how to make jam. As fate would have it, Destiny had just such an
endeavor in mind for me!

Abe brought home close to 40 lbs in Asian pears, which were a gift from his
aunt, picked from the trees in her own orchard. This was quite unexpected and
unplanned. But there they were. Sackfulls of pears. Sitting in my kitchen,
glaring at me balefully, daring me to do my worst. Well. I did.

With the aid of several kindly souls who provided advice from afar, I
endeavored to embark upon the mystical journey of Jam.

The first batch... there were burns aplenty, and gobs of liquid that Just
Didn't Set. Instead, I have Crunchy Pear Bits in Super Sugar Syrup with Chunks
of Ginger.

Ah, but the second batch... after receiving much advice from my councellors --
success!!

I am the proud owner of nine successful little jars of Cardamom Gingered Pear
Jam. :)

Zubeydah, who is more excited about this kitchen misadventure than she has any
right to be.

Next: pickles!!  :)