[Northkeep] speaking of period recipes

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 15:07:38 PDT 2007

Where I grew up in the Ozarks, there were wild trees that produced very similar nuts called chinquapins (nuts and trees both). A little smaller than hazelnuts as I recall, with a stronger flavor. A buddy of mine made a fair piece of change (for a kid) gathering them and selling little bags of them at school.

They were wiped out by the same chestnut blight that killed so many buckeyes further east.