[Northkeep] Facing the demon... JAM!

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:41:40 PDT 2007

Congratulations on the jam.  I used to help my mother with jelly-making when I was a kid, so she taught me quite a bit about "sheeting stage" and what that odd popping noise was as the jars cooled; but since I've been doing it on my own, I've had some batches go weird.

You'll probably find that your Crunchy Pear Bits in Super Sugar Syrup with Chunks of Ginger will make a tasty addition to a pie filling, or a pork or poultry glaze.  Sounds good.

Talana

----------------------------------------> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:34:39 -0500> From: zubeydah at northkeep.org> To: northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: [Northkeep] Facing the demon... JAM!>> Well, as some of you may recall, I was passionate earlier this year about> learning how to make jam. As fate would have it, Destiny had just such an> endeavor in mind for me!>> Abe brought home close to 40 lbs in Asian pears, which were a gift from his> aunt, picked from the trees in her own orchard. This was quite unexpected and> unplanned. But there they were. Sackfulls of pears. Sitting in my kitchen,> glaring at me balefully, daring me to do my worst. Well. I did.>> With the aid of several kindly souls who provided advice from afar, I> endeavored to embark upon the mystical journey of Jam.>> The first batch... there were burns aplenty, and gobs of liquid that Just> Didn't Set. Instead, I have Crunchy Pear Bits in Super Sugar Syrup with Chunks> of Ginger.>> Ah, but the second batch... after receiving much advice from my councellors --> success!!>> I am the proud owner of nine successful little jars of Cardamom Gingered Pear> Jam. :)>> Zubeydah, who is more excited about this kitchen misadventure than she has any> right to be.>> Next: pickles!! :)>>>> _______________________________________________> Northkeep mailing list> Northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/northkeep-ansteorra.org