[Northkeep] speaking of period recipes

Katherine A.Herndon bka28252 at nerdshack.com
Thu Oct 25 15:28:09 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 5:07 PM, kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:

> Where I grew up in the Ozarks, there were wild trees that produced
> very similar nuts called chinquapins (nuts and trees both). A little
> smaller than hazelnuts as I recall, with a stronger flavor. A buddy of
> mine made a fair piece of change (for a kid) gathering them and
> selling little bags of them at school.
>
> They were wiped out by the same chestnut blight that killed so many
> buckeyes further east.

Thanks for posting this.  I had heard of chinquapins before but hadn't
realized they were part of the chestnut family, nor how important they
used to be in the Ozarks.  Apparently the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation
(http://www.ozarkchinquapin.com/) is working to breed blight-resistant
chinquapin trees, so maybe you'll get to taste them again sometime.

Rosamund