[Northkeep] What weight linen do I need?

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 07:10:15 PDT 2007

----------------------------------------> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:47:50 -0700> From: zahavabathannah at yahoo.com> To: northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: [Northkeep] What weight linen do I need?>> So I am (finally) getting some good garb made for Alex and Aaron and I.... and I want to buy the linen and the wool. I *think* I want a pair of wool slopes and wool and a pair of linen chausses (with linen braies) for bottoms. Then maybe a linen Saint Louis shirt for each of us. I'm pretty much lost from there... So... here's my question-- what weight linen do I need? I see everything from 3.5oz to 7.5oz and have no idea what is what. Also... what KIND of wool do I need for pants?>> Thanks for any advise,>> Zahava> _______________________________________________> Northkeep mailing list> Northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/northkeep-ansteorra.org

Zahava,

For the St. Louis shirt, chausses and braies, you'll want something in the 5oz. range.  You can use heavier linen for the chausses, but I don't recommend it for the braies or shirt.

For the slops, or any pants/trews/Venetians/plunderhosen or other trouser variations, you'll want a worsted, not a woolen, wool fabric.  Woolens will "pill" and abrade through, and aren't good for garments that will get a lot of hard wear or endure a lot of friction.  Good worsted weaves include twills, gabardines, herringbones, whipcord, and heavy broadcloths.  If you're shopping online, the vendor ususally makes suggestions as to what kind of garments a particular fabric can be made into.  Pants, skirts and suits are good: dresses and dressy jackets aren't so good, as they can be safely made with less than hard-wearing fabrics.  Coat wool is usually too heavy for pants, but sometimes you can find "spring coat" fabric that is light enough and will wear like iron.  Don't, however, get anything that has been pretreated for waterproofing - it won't breathe.

Talana