[Northkeep] An Ensign Story

William Adkins winkleried at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 29 18:49:39 PDT 2007

I'm going to bookmark this post just to remind myself that fairytales do sometimes happen and that happily ever after isn't just a dream especially in this dream.

  Marc Adkins
  Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

Jennifer Eppler <chibi_jeni at hotmail.com> wrote:

In 2004 a girl shows up to the Ensign/Dhirnadir tournament as her first SCA event. A student of the swordfighting school, she's wearing an anime t-shirt, military green shorts, fishnets and combat boots... She watches the rapier tournament from the sidelines to cheer on her instructor. He salutes her from the field and she realizes that he is more than a teacher and a friend.

The next year, she is ready to compete in the Ensign tournament herself, but does not win. He passes off the title to a dear friend and worthy of the title. But HER Ensign is sent off to lead troops in a war farther away than Gulf Wars, carrying her favor.

He returns to her and the Ensign tournament the following year, to have her win the title that he once held. A very sentimental occasion for them both. They celebrate their victory, like any good German couple should, and she is not able to fully uphold her responsibilities to the title because of their Prize.

They both return this year to the Ensign tournament and after a day of fantastic fighting and fanfare, down to a draw and best two out of three match, she is able to pass the title back to her Lord Husband.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Barony of Northkeep. It has been my honor to serve the Baroness Kelandra as her first Ensign for this past year and through my health limitations I have tried to do my best. It was to my great pleasure today to pass the title of Ensign to my Lord Husband, Johann Von Aue!

Fairy tales do exist in the SCA. This is our fairy tale and I just thought I would share it with all of you.

Be glad I didn't have a voice today. This was my pass-down speech. It would have taken a while.

Live well, learn well, LOVE well!

Lady Genevieve Grant Von Aue
Former Ensign

::note to self: need to lose weight to get back into those shorts...::