[Northkeep] Fwd: The Passing of Mikal the Ram

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Tue Aug 19 17:51:33 PDT 2008

Two of the more touching tributes from Calonet.  Both of these good
people regularly come to Northern Ansteorran events...Andrixos "The Trim
Guy", and Marcus de la Foret, both of Grimfells.

    Damon

Oh, and I'm told that singing the song at events guarantees heavy weather.
--

>Subject: For Mikal

"A monument more lasting than bronze".

So spoke a poet of my people on the value of a poet's words.

We, who are to our marrow, people of word, of song, of story, are
lessened by his passing.

Yet, we may, and must, continually re-enrich ourselves, and our ktih and
kin, and most certainly our kinder, with the treasures overflowing from
Mikal's purse of words, and stories, and joys.

My last memory of him shall be seated in the shade of Goatwood at this
Lilies last, one-eyed, casting the lots. Through his generous
interpretations, many were allowed to seek further joy of combat. O,
that we could so cheat death when truly it mattered.

Mikal, my friend, your audience pauses silently and in awe as you have
brought your story to its end. We take comfort in your love of telling
it, but, as always, are left hungering for more.

In Braggi's hall, called also the Symposium, and the Pilgrimage to
Canterbury, give my warmest greating to Homer, and Virgil, Snorri and
Geoffrey, Giovanni and Sir Thomas, and likewise Will and J.R.R. They are
waiting for you, ready to share stories and hear more of yours.

I pledge to echo your spirit and your love of the people in my words
henceforth. As your voice has grown silent, we must all sing a bit
louder when the chorus comes along.

Andrixos

----

>Subject: His words are better than mine

"Never Do Norse Poetry at Feast"

and

Loki's Song

Mikal Hrafspa (Mikal the Ram)

I was born in battle's fire

Laid beside my mother's corpse

My toys the ravens of the field

My lullabies the screams of horse

    But when that storm god you all praise

    Walks the earth and shatters trees

    You huddle close beside my gift

    And whisper prayers beside the spit

    And as the woodsmoke turns and twists

    You owe your lives to sly Loki.

Odin saw me on the field

And recognized his bastard son

There he claimed me for his own

Heir to all that he had won

    But when that storm god you all praise

    Walks the earth and shatters trees

    You huddle close beside my gift

    And whisper prayers beside the spit

    And as the woodsmoke turns and twists

    You owe your lives to sly Loki.

I am the slyest of the gods

Fire is the gift I gave

I am swifter than the wind

And none can match the tricks I've played

    But when that storm god you all praise

    Walks the earth and shatters trees

    You huddle close beside my gift

    And whisper prayers beside the spit