[Northkeep] new old books?

Niewoehner, Hugh Hugh.Niewoehner at flightsafety.com
Tue Jan 15 05:40:50 PST 2008

He's baaack.  And he wants input. Ted Eisenstein ska Alban St. Albans  mailto:alban at socket.net

	Damon

----

I have got to stop getting book catalogs, y'know?

I've gotten a new one from a dealer I've occasionally used, that contains the
following items (among many others):

CAROSO, Fabritio. Il Ballarino. Venice; Francesco Ziletti, 1581.
".... 22 full-page engravings (6 repeats), large woodcut initials and ornaments, musical scores.... First edition of this beautifully illustrated manual - one
the most important works detailing late  Renaissance Italian, French and Spanish courtly dance. In it, dancing master Caroso describes fifty- four steps, provides rules for style and etiquette, and illustrates specific choreographies for eighty dances fashionable at the time, most of them designed for one couple and each provided with appropriate music notated in Italian lute tablature

I note that there's a web page that has at least a partial translation of it, available on Justin du Coeur's webpage, and another on Gregory Blount's page ("These images were scanned at 300dpi from the 1967 Broude Brothers facsimile" and "An updated version of this book was published in 1600, and that edition is available in translation by Julia Sutton in both hardback (out of print and expensive) and softcover (cheap, in print, published by Dover).")
Would it be worth my while and yours for me to get and digitize this?

FRENCH 16C MANUSCRIPT ACCOUNT AND RECIPE BOOK. Sarrians; (Provence), ( c. 1534  c. 1698).
Mostly financial and household records, but also "recipes, both in French and Provencal dialect. These are for useful Œhome remedies¹ for various ailments, and include commonly availiable ingredients, such as figs, licquorice and orange and lemon juice, and white wine: Œprends une pognade de gingouleŠ une pougnade de figuesŠune oimce de regalice Šferes boullie la dites choses ensembles dans un pot de [ ]tere jusqu¹au la [ ] partie ce que fire prener et boires du dit jus [ ] ou quatre [ ] doigts tous les matins tant qu¹il [the illness] durera"

Quite useful. But part of it is in Provencal; how many people would be willing to have a go at this?

GESNER, Konrad.  The newe iewell of healthŠ London; Henry Denham, 1576.
 It comprises principally a collection of recipes for medicinal balms, the distillation of
essential oil from flowers, fruits, seeds, spices, gums, turpentine, wood and more exotic sources such as dead men¹s bones, frogs, vitriol and grey badgers and Œwaters¹ from plants, liquors and drinkable gold.

Amazon says there's been a fascimile printed back in 1971, which is "currently unavailable" and the company doesn't know how long it'd take to get a copy....I'm tempted to say "buy and digitize dammit!", but it always helps to do a bit of market research anyway.

Alban

(forward as necessary; the more information I get, the happier I'll be, as long as I get it quickly so's the books aren't sold out from under me.)