[Northkeep] Fw: Not breaking this chain

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:35:16 PDT 2009

I believe, your grace, that while Rhode island was established by religious "dissenters" who had been forced to forced to flee, and in the case of the Quakers, evicted from, the Massachusetts Bay colony, that was more to do with their not being allowed to practice their religions (the MBC being officially Congregationalist until the Revolution).  Many other of the colonies had official religions, others did not, and one might see that trying to bring all these differing versions of "the Truth" into line with one another under one state church would have been very tricky.

Even so, I do recall that in Virginia, in the 1600s, one of Talana's (although technically, I believe that would be one of Jennifer's) ancestors was barred from taking his elected seat in the House of Burgesses because he was the minister in  his community's Church.  So even in Virginia, ostensibly Church of England, there was (at times at least) separation of Church and State.

Marc/Diarmaid