[Northkeep] Question for the mechanically inclined.

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 10:50:33 PDT 2009

I (and the finance company) own a late-model Chevy Trailblazer, which
is sort of like a preppy Jeep. It has settings for two wheel drive and
others I've maybe used once for automatic four-wheel, four-wheel, and
low-range four-wheel drive. This morning it developed a vibrating
noise, with symptoms I've never encountered before.

The noise comes up through the floor in the back, where the tank (and
presumably the fuel pump) and the exhaust system (the muffler but the
catalytic converter should be farther forward, unless acoustics are
doing something funny) and the rear differential are. But it only
happens at fairly high speeds, over twenty miles per hour maybe, and
only when there is no pressure on the accellerator.

It doesn't happen when the cruise control is on, presumably because it
always keeps some positive pressure on the drive system. It doesn't
shake the car or affect its handling or power. The lightest feather
touch on the accelerator stops it, but it starts again 1 to three
seconds after I let off the gas completely.

I would think if it were a blocked catalytic converter, it would be
worse when accelerating, and the same if it were the fuel pump. It
doesn't seem to fit a wheel bearing or a brake problem either. I
worried about a U-joint on the driveshaft, but I found very little play
in the system when I shifted from reverse to drive and back (while
holding the brake with the truck motionless), and no noticeable 'clunk'
sound.

Any ideas? Keigan is driving the vehicle, so if it IS a U-joint going
out, I want to know that and get it fixed.

Kevin