[Northkeep] ISO sources for beadwork on garments

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:23:00 PDT 2009

medievalbeads.com is one place to start.  It's a cross between a journal and an online tutorial.

Some exhaustive books on costuming and historical needlework have pictures of items embellished with beads.  Most pictures you will find of period items will be of ecclesiastical garments and accessories, because those things are more likely to survive to present day.

In Burgos, Spain, there is a large and wonderful collection of Spanish clothing worn in the royal court from the 13th-14th centuries (I think - I don't have the book anymore), and among the various items is a belt decorated with glass beads.

You'll have to do some digging but there are many people out there who have been researching this very topic, and several of them have websites.

Talana