[Northkeep] Bummed Out Belt

Chuck Kaun jack_a_lope31 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 16 22:55:54 PST 2009

Leather dye.....E.C.Leather on 6th a block or two west of Utica, open tuesdays through Fridays.  Use the old belt as a template for your new one because I cant think of a single thing to save what youve already done.  You could try saddle soap but I am dubious of the results.

I also use Leather sheen to cover my dyes (which doesnt crack).....And thorvald has a good idea....the only dye I wont use is white...it takes about 30 coats and never really works right.  If the areas are fairly small, use that cheap model paint for your white.  For an example of the dyes, you can get most of the heraldic colors (yellow will freak you out, it doesnt look right in the bottle or going on but the chemicals react to make the leather turn yellow).  If you are patient and use fine brushes without putting a ton of dye on, you can get pretty good line control.  At this point, you have the option of cleaning the old belt and redoing it or starting on a new piece.  As a wise friend told me recently about jacking up while weaving, "yarn is cheap, if you dont like it, cut it off the loom and start over".  Yes, leather is not cheap but your time trying to strip it may be more valuable yet.

Karl T.