[Northkeep] Clothing (was linen sale)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:04:12 PDT 2009

I believe the prevalence of linen is due to the fact that while many people now know that Linen is a "period" fabric, few are willing to risk the linen/wool combo.  This is their misfortune, since while wool is warm in the summer in Texas and Oklahoma, so is bare skin.  I have found that in general wool moderates heat fairly well, even when it's very hot out.  Admittedly, it helps to have a bit of a breeze, but we do tend to have those around here.

The only new research, such as it is, would suggest that *commoners* wore linen rather than wool, probably because it was cheaper (and in fact remained so until the late 19th/early 20th century).  I believe that for those who wear earlier stuff, you take a look at the "Kings Mirror" (you may find a copy of that online here: http://www.mediumaevum.com/75years/mirror/ although the distinction between "apparel" and "linen"  should make it clear that they are referring to outer and undergarments.  In other areas they discuss "blackened" linen for armor, which is a topic of some disagreement...).

The Jerkin I frequently wear is linen, since it is based on a tradesman's doublet found in a wall in Reigate (see http://www.concealedgarments.org/)

I think as more people actually take the risk to try wool and linen, they will discover the wonderful properties, and realize that cotton, though cheap, is not any cooler to wear.

But that's my opinion.

And welcome to Northkeep, your Grace.

Marc/Diarmaid