[Northkeep] Great wisdom is period source where did you get it?

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sat Jul 25 19:37:44 PDT 2009

This period source has great wisdom. It talks about the Kings men giving space so the King can converse with his people. Several reigns back I was approached by some people who  complained that when ever the King and Queen cam to area The entourage gather around them so thick that they wouldn't let any one in to talk to them. They had something of importance to discuss with them and didn't know what to do. Also the entourage took upon themselves to decide what was important and what was not. They people believed and I don't know if it was true that when the applied for and audience the entourage just told them on their own that there Majesties were busy.
These people thought the King and Queen were a poor Crown because they kept the people at a distance. I thought this was sad because I know they cared a lot and only reason the entourage was doing this was because they were very protective of their good friends.
Period source Norway 1250
Now when it happens that the king goes out to seek diversion, whether it be in town or in the country, or wherever he is sojourning, and you and your comrades accompany him, the retinue looks best, whether you are armed or not, if you walk in equal numbers on either side of the king, though never in compact groups. Wherever you go he should walk in your midst, and
you and your companions should be arranged in equal numbers before and behind him and on either side. But none of you must walk so near the king that he has not sufficient space to converse with those whom he summons to him, whether he wishes to speak with them openly or in private. And even though he call no one to have speech with him, keep the order such that there is plenty of space around him on all sides. But when the king rides out for amusement and you and your comrades accompany him, arrange the order of riding in the way that I have suggested about your walking; only keep at a greater distance, so that no dirt can splash from your horses upon the king, even though you ride quite rapidly.