[Northkeep] Linen, wool, and thrones

Amadeo Estevão rockmeamadeo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:04:06 PDT 2009

As a former policeman here in Tulsa I can tell you we all hate the wool
uniforms.

They are exceedingly hot, extremely impractical, are about 5 times more
expensive to buy, are very expensive to own as they must be dry cleaned and
on top of all of that they hold up to wear very poorly.

Today the reason Tulsa insists on its' officers wearing wool is that
officers must dry clean which increases the likelihood that they will have
firm creases. Thats it.

In years past the reason the city had two reasons for selecting them, post
WWII there was a mountain of surplus for the green wool for the shirts.  In
the last few years the officers were wearing them  the shirts were still
being made from that same stockpile of wool!  It was however dwindling to
nothing and the cost of the uniforms were skyrocketing by 1995 when I joined
the department.

Amadeo