[Northkeep] Castellan

Jerry Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 17:50:28 PDT 2009

As I sit here in my study, joints aching and every fiber that is me tired from the last few days labors, my heart wells up fully into my throat and makes my pen shake as I write these words. No Baron ever could possibly feel as proud the people her serves as I do this day. The Castellan event this year marked our last as Baron and Baroness of Northkeep and we feel it was among the best we have ever known.

Castellan dawned upon the weekend with cloud and rain which could not hold against the glory of the proceedings set to begin.The steady breezes bore away the clouds and made the rising warmth of the day almost pleasant. The flapping banners and waving flags amongst the many pavilions against the blues of skies were a site to behold.  The Crown of mighty Ansteorra appeared in all their splendor and brought with them the heart and soul of chivalry and honor to our event. The lists each were filled with hardy warriors ready to try their skills, the archery was a so brilliantly planned that every archer came away sated, the bardic was truly a pleasure to hear with so many talented entertainers, the hall overfilled with evidence of the skill and talent of the artisans of Ansteorra. When the day was done and all was tallied and tested there were many good Champions named
Sir Jean Paul de Sans became the Drighton
Lord Uilliac McDub became the Provost
Lord Justus ap Dewi became the Marksman
Lord Robin of Northkeep took the title Archer
Honorable Lady Annabelle Fits Simmons took the title Artisan
Lady Adalia Vonderberg took the title Bard
It was Lord Karl Thorgiersson who won the Castellan and never have I seen a man so glad.

Evening brought with it a whirlwind of cleaning and tearing down behind the scenes, while court was held honoring many of Northkeep's folk. In the long late hours of the night small groups of friends gathered to laugh and revel away the burdens of the day. In my chair I rested secure among my kinsmen and kind listening, taking it all one last time all that was and is Castellan. I remembered the events before all the way back to Castellan one and how each was different and each was the same. At last when my mind and body could take no more I sought my bed and in restful slumber I dreamed still the dream that is the SCA.

Well done Northkeep one and all. Your efforts against all that attempted to deter us from a fine event all fell by the way when your hands and hearts pulled together. Lady Zahava and Lord Amadeo as stewards did everything right, and young Lady Allison in the kitchens laid out a meal worthy to be counted among those that have made Northkeep famous for its feasts. High praises are given to the coordinators but they are not worthy of the work done by the rest of those who toiled at Castellan. Kale and Winfryth, Muirren, Evan, Perrin, and Miles, oh so many good folk were at Castellan working sometimes alone sometimes together, each one giving their best for Northkeep. To all who came and all who did their part you may feel great pride in a job done most well. I thank each of you who were there with my whole heart and I hope that you may feel all the glory and honor that you so richly deserve.

Kindly
Ian
Baron