[Northkeep] Is this ridiculous or just terminally sad?

Jon Eppler jon.d.eppler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:40:18 PDT 2009

Arms and their possession is less of the problem than people
tolerating violence.  Sometimes the only way to meet violence is with
violence in order to stop it.  Great Britain has come to endorse the
idea of "Nanny State" where the people are no longer trusted to
protect themselves and even prosecute people who use lethal force to
protect their homes.  This is a sore spot with me as our country seems
to be leaning this way more and more.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Aline
Swynbrook<alineswynbrook at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Indeed, I suspect Franziscka has hit it on the nose.  Death by stabbing has gotten a lot of press lately since Robert Knox, age 18, who played Marcus Belby in the Harry Potter films, died defending his little brother from a knife attack outside a London bar.  He was the 28th teenager to be stabbed by May of 2008 in England (the 10th in London), and was proceeded in death by a young boy from his same rugby club two weeks previous in an unrelated incident (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2022742/Harry-Potter-actor-stabbed-to-death-protecting-his-younger-brother.html)
>
> Admittedly, if someone wants a weapon, they will find one (I used to know how to kill someone with a Bic pen), but I don't see lessening access as a bad thing.
>
> Aline

The nation that makes a distinction between its scholars and its
warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done
by fools.--
Thucydides quoting a Spartan King