[Northkeep] Interacting with Northkeep (was Baronial table at coronation)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:53:21 PDT 2009

Your Grace,

I just wanted to let you know that we tend to be fairly patient with people learning to interact around here, and sometimes will even tell you if there is a problem.  I know that things are going to be a little different for you up here -- Tulsa itself has a fairly distinctive local culture that's been built up over a century (BTW, anyone who doesn't understand what I mean by this, has probably never really lived anywhere else).  This local culture has a lot of good things, and some other things that are quaint and amusing, and even others that drive me nuts.  Slathered on top of that we have 30 years of Ansteorran history, and our living through that isolated up here in the North.

One of the things that is often said about Northkeep elsewhere is that we are aloof, standoffish, and not very welcoming of new people (whether new to the SCA or just to the region).  In the past we've had problems with folks having different views of how
to play the SCA, and that's made us a little more guarded, as well as
(I believe) a little more respectful of other people's space; perhaps too much so.  I can't speak for anyone else, but for myself, I know that I'm perfectly happy to welcome in new people, but I have my own things to do also.  I believe that people around here are happy to include folks who make an effort to find their own place, but are not (as a whole) inclined to pro-actively try to drag them in and force them into a pre-formed niche.

I think that if you continue to try to find your way into the community, you'll do just fine.

Marc/Diarmaid