[Northkeep] Latest Demo Update

Ayla VonAschen aylavonaschen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:43:12 PDT 2009

Greetings again Northkeep,

Regarding this weekend's demo, thanks again to all of you for chiming in and
assisting with this event.  I believe I was told that last year there were
over 1000 people in attendance and this year they are expecting somewhere
between 2000-5000.  This could be a great recruiting opportunity for
Northkeep, the Northern Region and Ansteorra as a whole.  As we get closer
to the start of the faire, there are a few things I wanted to check in on
and reiterate.

First is a reminder that we will begin setting up pavilions and list fields
on Friday evening at 6:30 pm.  Saturday morning we will resume set up of
display items and decorations at 8:00 am.  The fair opens at 10:00 am (I
apologize for mis-stating it would begin at 10:30 in previous emails).  The
faire closes at 7:00 pm Saturday evening.  Sunday begins the same as
Saturday, the faire opens at 10:00, but I recommend getting there early
(again I plan to be there by 8) to set up displays and such.  The faire will
close at 6:00 pm on Sunday, at which point we will need assistance in
tearing things down.  While I am told there will be security in the park
from Friday's set-up to Sunday's tear-down, I would recommend packing up
displays and anything you would miss if it were to be lost, on Saturday
after the fair ends and setting it back up on Sunday.  Remember the gates
are closed between 11 pm and 7 am.

Second, the weather forecast does call for a 40% chance of rain all
weekend.  That being said, I am sure that we will still have lots and lots
of people who come out to see us, rain or shine, and since this is Oklahoma
we are talking about, I'm thinking we could easily have both, even at the
same time.  I know there will be plenty of shelter from the sun via the
trees in the park, and it sounds like there will be a number of pop-ups and
pavilions that could be used for shelter from the rain if and when needed.
One thing you may want to think about though is ground cover if you have
it.  I don't know if there are any in Northkeep who have those floor mats
that are great for wet ground, but I'd say if you've got anything you don't
want to set in the mud, consider bringing something to set it on instead.

Next, with regards to the trailer and the pamphlets we have to hand out,
Zahava told me that as of the end of the day on Monday, the plan was for
Their Excellencies to pick the trailer up from Kevin and Keigan's and bring
it to site?  Is this correct, and if so, how would you like to get back the
trailer keys?  As to the pamphlets, I was trying to follow along with the
posts earlier today, but currently am not sure if that has been settled or
not.  Do we have someone who is going to make sure we have up-to-date
pamphlets printed and available at the demo?  If not, what needs to be done
to facilitate that?

Lastly, I feel like I should mention that I've apparently been struck by
some odd luck with demos.  When I was on my way to the school demo for
Northkeep last April, I got a call saying that my baby brother was on the
way and ended up turning around 2 minutes after I showed up to go be there
for his birth.  Today, shortly after arriving in Stillwater to help with
Mooneschadowe's campus demo, I got a call and needed to turn around and
drive back to Tulsa to take care of a sick kid (don't worry, it's a sinus
infection, so he didn't expose anyone to anything contagious on Monday).
That being said, I do not foresee a reason I should be called away from the
demo this weekend, and I'm not really superstitious, but when you are
hoping it doesn't rain, maybe crossing your fingers a little extra for me
wouldn't hurt.

Ayla