[Northkeep] ISO: Norsemen

Talbot the Mad talbotthemad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 09:41:29 PDT 2010

This is short notice, I know, but I am searching for a Norse (specifically,
Norse gone a-viking) encampment, and some Norsemen to encamp in it.

My museum, The Peter Conser Historic Home, is hosting an "arts and crafts
festival, live music festival, antique tractor and equipment show, and quilt
show" (whew!) on Saturday, September 18th. I have re-enactors from several
time periods, (American Civil War, cattle drovers, Choctaw Lighthorse
mounted policemen, Choctaw tribal life (post removal), Victorian and
Edwardian), scheduled to come up and take part in the festivities, and,
being close to the Heavener Runestone, (and it's lesser known 'brothers') I
would like to have that era of Oklahoma History represented as well.
(Whether it actually happened or not being open to individual
interpretation, and beyond the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish!)

So, what I need is a group of Viking Norsemen to set up a (as close as can
be managed!) 'Historically Accurate' (tm) Viking camp, (you are welcome to
come down the evening before and camp over!) and spend the day, in garb and
in persona, interacting with the public, talking about why you would have
taken up the life of a Viking, why you would have traveled to Vinland and
beyond, who you left behind at home, and things of that nature, as well as
answering questions about "that kooky re-enactment group ya'll are part of?"

What I am offering, is a place to camp, a grassy field next to a winding
stream, out in the country, (with a possibility of light traffic, but hey!
it'll grab their attention!). (Site is *DISCREETLY* wet, after five o'clock
P.M. on friday) Fire pit allowed (if you'll help me move rocks to where you
want to camp!) and firewood on site.

And, depending on how many of you volunteer, I am getting ready (once the
weather cooperates!) to fire up my forge for the fall season. I will do a
'simple' piece of iron work, (ie: a cloak pin, a spiral pendant, things like
that) or, I have just had donated, a couple of elk antlers and some steel,
and I would be willing to custom make a small seax, in your choice of a
couple of different styles. (broken back, curved back, etc.) depending of
course on the number of responses!

SO: an opportunity to demo, and to help a Oklahoma Heritage Museum, and
receive a bit of iron work for your trouble?

My work email is breid at okhistory.org and the museum number is (918)653-2493.

Sincerely,
~Talbot

Mundanely Known As:
~Brandon W. Reid
Manger, Peter Conser Historic Home
Heavener, Oklahoma
An Oklahoma Historical Society Historic Home