[Northkeep] Thoughts from a "Noob"

Jessica Rothrock jr_panda2778 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 11:15:52 PST 2010

With all the messages flying around on various lists regarding how to deal with newcomers and visitors to the SCA, I thought I might as well add my own thoughts and opinions.

I consider myself a new player.  We've only attended one event and fighter practice for a few months.  I'll still consider myself a new player for quite a while yet, simply because there is so much to learn to try to fit in with the SCA.

I was thinking about some of the things I'd like to see and some changes made to help new players acclimate better, sooner.

One of the major things that I think would help is a handbook of a sort, what my husband aptly termed a quick-start guide.  I would like to see a brochure or booklet that covers the basics, something along the lines of "How to Survive Your First Year in the SCA."

Addressing the cost involved in creating and distributing this booklet- I wouldn't print it for every demo.  I would save this for new players who have expressed more than a passing interest.  By the time they get this book, they should have seen at least one public demo, been to a few practices, and/or decided that they might want to join in on a more permanent basis.

Basic information presented in a simple manner is good.  It's even better when everyone is providing the same information, rather than one thing saying this and another saying that.

Some suggestions for this book would be:
1. Garb- How-to patterns for a simple T-tunic, where to purchase garb, people to contact for loaner garb, Dos and Don'ts- what not to wear (sumptuary laws).  Basics for fitting in.

2. Feast- what to pack in you feast basket- What am I expected to provide on my own?  What may be provided for me?  Where to get loaners, where to find other period-like pieces.  What is absolutely necessary?  What other items are nice additions, but not necessary? And for a lot of us: how to enjoy feast with children.

3. Contact information- Who do I talk to about armor/fighting?  Who do I talk to if I am interested in learning how to weave?  Who do I talk to if I want to learn about Ren-style music? Etc.

4.  What is this thing about names?  Simple terms- how to choose an SCA name.  What documentation is "required"?  What are the steps to registering a name?  Associated costs?  Who to talk to for detailed information.

5. How to "join" the SCA-  Super simplified information about membership fees.  Exactly what is covered, what is not.  Where to get more information, where to make payment.  Benefits of paid membership versus just paying the NMS (I only know what this is from the recent discussion on another list).

6. How do I get promoted?  No one wants to be a newbie forever.  A lot of us show up at events and see all the beautiful people arrayed in all their finery and get star-struck.  Then we have this overwhelming urge- "I want to be that person!"  So how do we get there?  What do I have to do in order to get to kneel before the King and Queen?  Better yet, what do I have to do to get to wear one of those spiffy brass hats? (Realistically, I know it will take a while for any new player to learn and become known, but a goal and a plan will give us something to work towards.)

Honestly, as a new player I am so tired of hearing people in the SCA say that there is so much to do in the SCA, then walk away.  If there is so much to do, give me a hint where to start.  Tell me how I can get involved.  Better yet, invite me to get involved.  Show me what you are doing.  Better than that, ask me if I want to learn how to do that, then teach me.  Point out who I need to talk to or become familiar with in.  Better again, introduce me to those people.

Another suggestion is a mentor-ship program.  Maybe there are a few seasoned players who would be willing to step forward and take the new players under their wing for a few months.  Mainly to be available to answer the above questions.  Someone who would be first contact for new players needing advice- steering them in the right direction.

I could add a lot more "opinion" here, but I'm not going to get involved in the politics of the situation.  Suffice it to say there is no consistency.  There are players who are open and welcoming to visitors and who will bend over backwards to help them.  While there are other players who wouldn't speak to a visitor if they were the last person on earth.  I think that finding a way to present consistent information in a consistent manner to visitors should be a higher priority than it is right now.

PS- regarding the sash/badge/token/flag/etc. for identifying newcomers, as suggested on another list.  Once again I insist on consistency.  Please don't give me a bright red flag that shouts "Noob!" unless everyone else of my status has one.  And above all, make sure that every other seasoned player knows how to react to such a red flag in a manner that is becoming of the Society as a whole.

Stepping of my soapbox now,
Jessica Whitehouse