[Northkeep] ISO Help making Kydex armor

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Wed Feb 17 19:34:39 PST 2010

Mmmm, Kydex.

It's actually really simple.  Wear a fairly heavy set of sweat pants and
a sweat shirt.  Put the Kydex in the oven set to 200 degrees or the
lowest setting you can achieve.

Rough cut to shape needed.  Then, use a set of welding gloves or
similar.  Wait until the kydex is as flexible as newprint/phone book.
Slap it over the part to be armored and hold until it cools enough to be
rigid again.  Cut for best fit and use a propane torch to roll the
edges.  Then use a drill and make holes about a half inch in from the
edge at one half inch spacing.  Cover with leather and sew through the
holes.  The only time anybody will know they're Kydex is when the blow
lands and goes "thop" rather than a good "smack".   Do not fight when
the weather is below 40 degrees.  Kydex becomes really brittle below
38.  Even ~45 is risking it.  And yes, this is the voice of experience.
I wore Kydex cuisses (and other parts) for more than 5 years

I still have at least part of the old cuisses he at home.  I'll have to
take a micrometer to determine how thick they are.

Since they will be form fitting, the amount of padding for cuisses, etc.
is reduced.  The leather can be really thin as it's only to disguise the
fact it's plastic armor.

HE Damon